Solve Parametric Eq: Semicircle Mean Value w/ Respect to Theta

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, the conversation discusses the parametric equations for a semicircle and finding the mean value of the ordinates with respect to theta. The participants also clarify a mistake in the equations and discuss integrating in terms of theta.
John O' Meara
The semicircle [tex] \mbox{f(x) = }\sqrt{a^2-x^2} \mbox{ -a} <=\mbox{ x }<= \mbox{a }[/tex], ( see my last thread) has the parametric equations [tex]x= }a cos\theta\mbox{, y=} a sin\theta, 0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex], show that the mean value with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex] of the ordinates of the semicircle is [tex] 2a/\pi(.64a)[/tex].
Can someone show how you can get an expression in [tex]\theta[/tex], so I can integrate it, I 'm new to parametric equations. Thanks for the help.
My attempt: [tex] a sin\theta = \sqrt{a^2-a^2cos^2\theta}\mbox{ which gives } a sin\theta = a sin\theta\mbox {which is what you would expect}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can't get what you wrote- it isn't true! For one thing, when [itex]\theta= 0[/itex], a sin(0)= 0 but [itex]\sqrt{a^2- a^2 sin^2(0)}= a[/itex]. Did you mean [itex]a cos\theta = \sqrt{a^2- a^2sin^2\theta}[/itex]? That true because [itex]\sqrt{a^2- a^2sin^2\theta}= \sqrt{a^2(1- sin^2\theta )}= \sqrt{a^2 cos^2\theta}[/itex].

Sorry for the mistake I meant [tex] a sin\theta = \sqrt{a^2-a^2cos^2\theta}\mbox{ which gives } a sin\theta = a sin\theta[/tex], which is of no help.

It also shows y=sqrt(a^2-x^2), which shows your parametric representation is correct. Now just write your integral of y dx in terms of theta. What's dx?

[tex]\int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=\pi} \sqrt{a^2-a^2 cos^2\theta}dx[/tex], I don't know what dx is in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex]. Can someone show me please? Thanks for the help.

Write dx=d(a*cos(theta)). It's just like finding du in a change of variable. Just differentiate!

What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that express a set of quantities in terms of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. The variables in a parametric equation are typically represented by letters such as x, y, and z, and their values are determined by the values of the parameters.

What is a semicircle mean value?

The semicircle mean value is the average value of a function over a semicircle, which is the half of a circle. This value is typically calculated by finding the average of the function's values at each point along the semicircle's curve.

What is the mean value theorem?

The mean value theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for a continuously differentiable function over a closed interval, there exists at least one point within the interval where the function's instantaneous rate of change (derivative) is equal to the average rate of change over the entire interval.

What is theta in parametric equations?

Theta is a common parameter used in parametric equations to represent an angle. It is often used in polar coordinates to represent the direction or orientation of a point in a two-dimensional space.

How do you solve a parametric equation for the semicircle mean value with respect to theta?

To solve a parametric equation for the semicircle mean value with respect to theta, you can use the mean value theorem by taking the derivative of the function with respect to theta and setting it equal to the average value of the function over the semicircle. Then, you can solve for the value of theta that satisfies this equation to find the semicircle mean value.