1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

?Parametric equations?

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1
    ??Parametric equations??

hey whats up,
    ok i have a question on differentiating parametric equations. The question says to find the equation of the two tangent lines to the curve. here's the equations...

[tex] x = 6 cos t [/tex]
    [tex] y= 2sin2t[/tex]

Now, after i differentiate them, do i just plug in the corresponding point? , here's what i got after i differentiated them...

[tex] \frac {dy}{dx} = \frac {2cos2t} {(3)(-sint)} [/tex]

after plugging in the corresponding point for t, i will have the slope, but is that slope for both of the equations? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2004 #2
    Your reasoning is quite correct except for the fact that you will get not a 3 in the denominator but a 6. Yes after you apply the chain rule, all you have to do is substitute t.

4. Dec 8, 2004 #3
    He'll get a 3 since y'=4cos2t, x'=-6sint and 4/6=2/3.

5. Dec 8, 2004 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the slope of the tangent line of the CURVE.

ehild

6. Dec 8, 2004 #5
    How do i find the corresponding points? lol...

7. Dec 8, 2004 #6
    Hello

Now that you have the slope, you still need to write down the equation for the tangent:

y = slope*(x - 6cost) + 2sin2t​
    I guess this will answer this question fully.

I made a drawing of the curve, a choosen point and its tangent, in MS Excel.
    I attach it to this post, compressed in a zip file.
    By changing the reference point, you can see that the equation for the tangent is ok: it touches the curve smoothly.
    There is a small difficulty to t=0 or pi because the slope becomes infinite (the tangent is vertical then).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?