1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric expression

1. Apr 22, 2005 #1
    I have x(t)=t(1-t) and y(t)=t(1-t^2). As t goes from 0 to 1 in forms a loop and I need to know the point where the tangent line is vertical. I know this must be easy but I'm clueless right now. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U need the derivative in that point to be infinite.That is the slope must be infinite...

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} [/tex]

Daniel.

4. Apr 23, 2005 #3
    So basically you need to set [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] equal to zero.

Jameson

5. Apr 23, 2005 #4
    solving [itex]dx/dt=0[/itex] is not quite enough in general. Dexter's method is fine.

Consider [itex]x(t)=t, \ y(t)=t[/itex].

6. Apr 24, 2005 #5
    Data: but x = t, and y = t doesnt have a vertical asymptote?

7. Apr 24, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It was a counterexample to the statement of analyzing [itex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/itex] instead of [tex] \frac{\displaystyle{\frac{dy}{dt}}}{\displaystyle{\frac{dx}{dt}}} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  8. Apr 24, 2005 #7
    I still don't see how that's an example where simply setting dx/dt equal to zero will not yield the vertical asymptotes.

Jameson

9. Apr 24, 2005 #8
    This was not, because if x(t)=t, dx/dt=1

However, if you take the dumb example : x(t)=y(t)=sin(t). Then obviously, y=x, so this is just the diagonal, so there are no vertical tangents.

However, there exist some t such that dx/dt=0...but this is precisely where dy/dt=0, so that both cancel....you can imagine example where this gives other value than 1...

In fact to solve the question why you have to look at (dy/dt)/(dy/dt)...it's because you could have dy/dt=infty and dx/dt finite...or other limits such as dx/dt->0, and dy/dt->0...(indefinite)...

10. Apr 24, 2005 #9
    oops, yeah, i needed to use [itex]x(t)=y(t)=t^2[/itex]!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?