What is the Point Where the Tangent Line is Vertical for x(t)=y(t)=t^2?

In summary, to find the point where the tangent line is vertical for the functions x(t)=t(1-t) and y(t)=t(1-t^2), we need to find the derivative at that point. This is done by setting dx/dt equal to zero. However, this method may not always yield the correct result, as shown by the counterexamples x(t)=t and y(t)=t, where there are no vertical tangents. To accurately determine the vertical tangent point, we need to consider both the derivatives of x(t) and y(t) at that point, using the equation (dy/dt)/(dx/dt).
andrewdavid
I have x(t)=t(1-t) and y(t)=t(1-t^2). As t goes from 0 to 1 in forms a loop and I need to know the point where the tangent line is vertical. I know this must be easy but I'm clueless right now. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
U need the derivative in that point to be infinite.That is the slope must be infinite...

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} [/tex]

Daniel.

So basically you need to set [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] equal to zero.

Jameson

solving [itex]dx/dt=0[/itex] is not quite enough in general. Dexter's method is fine.

Consider [itex]x(t)=t, \ y(t)=t[/itex].

Data: but x = t, and y = t doesn't have a vertical asymptote?

It was a counterexample to the statement of analyzing [itex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/itex] instead of [tex] \frac{\displaystyle{\frac{dy}{dt}}}{\displaystyle{\frac{dx}{dt}}} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
I still don't see how that's an example where simply setting dx/dt equal to zero will not yield the vertical asymptotes.

Jameson

This was not, because if x(t)=t, dx/dt=1

However, if you take the dumb example : x(t)=y(t)=sin(t). Then obviously, y=x, so this is just the diagonal, so there are no vertical tangents.

However, there exist some t such that dx/dt=0...but this is precisely where dy/dt=0, so that both cancel...you can imagine example where this gives other value than 1...

In fact to solve the question why you have to look at (dy/dt)/(dy/dt)...it's because you could have dy/dt=infty and dx/dt finite...or other limits such as dx/dt->0, and dy/dt->0...(indefinite)...

oops, yeah, i needed to use [itex]x(t)=y(t)=t^2[/itex]!

Related to What is the Point Where the Tangent Line is Vertical for x(t)=y(t)=t^2?

1. What is a parametric expression?

A parametric expression is a mathematical expression that contains one or more variables, which are typically represented by the letter "t". These variables can be used to represent different values, allowing for a greater range of possible outcomes.

2. How is a parametric expression different from a regular mathematical expression?

Unlike a regular mathematical expression, a parametric expression does not have a fixed value. Instead, it is a set of equations that can be used to generate a range of values by plugging in different values for the variables. This makes parametric expressions more versatile and useful in many applications.

3. What are some common uses of parametric expressions?

Parametric expressions are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, create complex geometric shapes, and generate visual effects in video games and movies.

4. How do you graph a parametric expression?

To graph a parametric expression, you will need to plot the values of the variables on a coordinate plane. Each set of values will represent a point on the graph. By plotting multiple points, you can create a curve or shape that represents the parametric expression.

5. Can parametric expressions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, parametric expressions can be very useful in solving real-world problems. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems and objects, allowing scientists to make informed decisions and improve their understanding of the world around us.