Parametrized Surfaces: Evaluating and Integrating f(x,y,z) = yz with u and v

• Thread starter Chandasouk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary, the conversation is about a problem that involves parametrizing a plane and calculating its area using a given formula. The person is unsure of how to proceed with the third part of the problem, which involves expressing a function in terms of the parameters and evaluating an integral over the surface. They are seeking clarification on the steps and information needed to solve the problem.
Chandasouk
Express f(x,y,z) = yz in terms of u and v and evaluate [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]_S f(x,y,z)dS

This is supposed to be simple but I really don't know how to do this.

I rewrote f(x,y,z) = yz as x = g(y,z) so then [tex]\Phi[/tex](y,z) = (y,z, x)

Tx = (0,0,1) and Ty=(1,0,0) and their corss product, n, is <0,0,-1>

Am I even doing this right? if so where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
can you explain the integral a bit more, is this an integral over a surface, if so what is the surface? if i guess what you are trying to do you first need parametrise the surface in terms of u & v giving
[tex] \textbf{x}^T = (x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v))^T [/tex]

[tex] \int_S f(x,y,z) dS = \int \int f(\textbf{x}(u,v)) \left| \frac{\partial \textbf{x}}{\partial u} \times \frac{\partial \textbf{x}}{\partial v} \right|du dv [/tex]

see below for more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_integral

In order for this problem to make any sense at all, you would have to be given formulas for u and v in terms of x and y (or vice-versa) as well as what region S is. I see none of that here.

This was the third part of a problem. The complete problem is this

Show that [tex]\Phi[/tex](u,v) = (2u+1, u-v, 3u+v) parametrizes the plane 2x-y-z=2. Then:

a) Calculate Tu, Tv, and n(u,v)

B) Find the area of S = [tex]\Phi[/tex](D), where D = {(u,v): 0[tex]\leq[/tex]u[tex]\leq[/tex]2,
0[tex]\leq[/tex]v[tex]\leq[/tex]1

c)Express f(x,y,z) = yz in terms of u and v and evaluate [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]_S f(x,y,z)dS

I already did A and B. The answers are Tu = (2,1,3), Tv = (0,-1,1), and n(u,v) = <4,-2,-2>

and Area(S) = 4*sqrt(6)

Related to Parametrized Surfaces: Evaluating and Integrating f(x,y,z) = yz with u and v

1. What is a parametrized surface?

A parametrized surface is a mathematical concept used in geometry and calculus to describe a surface in three-dimensional space using two independent variables. It is typically represented as a function with two parameters, which map a point on a plane to a point on the surface.

2. How are parametrized surfaces different from regular surfaces?

Parametrized surfaces are different from regular surfaces in that they are described using parameters or variables, whereas regular surfaces are described using equations or geometric properties. Parametrized surfaces allow for more flexibility and precision in describing complex surfaces.

3. What are the applications of parametrized surfaces?

Parametrized surfaces have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in computer graphics, where they are used to model and render three-dimensional objects. They also play a key role in calculus, as they allow for the calculation of surface integrals and the study of curved surfaces.

4. How are parametrized surfaces used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, parametrized surfaces are used to model and render three-dimensional objects. They provide a mathematical representation of objects that can be manipulated and rendered using computer algorithms. This allows for the creation of realistic and complex graphics seen in movies, video games, and simulations.

5. Are all surfaces parametrizable?

No, not all surfaces are parametrizable. Some surfaces, such as the Mobius strip, cannot be completely described using a parametrization. However, many surfaces encountered in math and physics can be parametrized, and parametrization is a useful tool for studying and representing surfaces in higher dimensions.