Parametrizing a Closed Curve in \mathbb{R}^3

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a general form for the parametrization of a closed curve in three-dimensional space. One suggestion is to use a Fourier series, but there are concerns about the curve crossing itself. The conversation ends with a request for any ideas or suggestions.
Dox
Hello.

In a certain problem I'm interested on, I need to write a general form of the parametrization of a closed curve on [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex].

I thought in parametrize it using a kind of Fourier series. Could it be possible?

Thing become even worse 'cause I'd like to the curve doesn't cross itself.

Every idea is welcome.

Best wishes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it not be sufficient to say that such a curve is a function [itex]r(t)=(x(t),y(t),z(t))[/itex], [itex]t\in [0,1][/itex] such that r(t1)=r(t2) iff r1=0, r2=1.

quasar987 said:
Would it not be sufficient to say that such a curve is a function [itex]r(t)=(x(t),y(t),z(t))[/itex], [itex]t\in [0,1][/itex] such that r(t1)=r(t2) iff r1=0, r2=1.

Thanks for your answer Quasar987, but that exactly the point. In order to satisfy the boundary condition I must expand in Fourier series, Isn't it?

Thank you very much.

I don't know what you mean.

Why do you consider the answer I wrote incomplete/inadequate?

I mean:

The condition is [tex]r(0)=r(1)[/tex].

In general a function satisfying that condition could be expand as a Fourier series, Isn't it? Because sine and cosine are periodic functions.

If the function is not too wild, yes. But again, what does this have to do with the problem? :confused:

What does it mean to parametrize a closed curve in R3,3?

Parametrizing a closed curve in R3,3 means to find a set of equations that describe the curve in terms of one or more parameters. This allows for a precise mathematical representation of the curve in three-dimensional space.

What are the benefits of parametrizing a closed curve in R3,3?

Parametrizing a closed curve in R3,3 allows for more accurate calculations and analysis of the curve. It also makes it easier to perform operations on the curve, such as finding its length or calculating the area it encloses.

How is a closed curve in R3,3 typically parametrized?

A closed curve in R3,3 is typically parametrized using a single parameter, such as t, and a set of equations that describe the position of points on the curve in terms of this parameter. These equations can be in the form of functions or vector-valued equations.

What are some common techniques for parametrizing a closed curve in R3,3?

Some common techniques for parametrizing a closed curve in R3,3 include using trigonometric functions, polynomials, and piecewise functions. These techniques can be combined to create more complex parametrizations that accurately represent the curve.

What are some real-life applications of parametrizing a closed curve in R3,3?

Parametrizing a closed curve in R3,3 has many real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, animation, and engineering. It is also used in physics and astronomy to model the motion of objects in three-dimensional space. Additionally, parametrizing curves is important in the field of differential geometry, where it is used to study the curvature and other properties of curves in three-dimensional space.