Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial and Covariant derivatives in invarint actions

1. Nov 27, 2006 #1
    It's physics based but actually a maths question so I'm asking it here rather than the physics forums.

[tex]I = \int \mathcal{L}\; d^{4}x[/tex]

I is invariant under some transformation [tex]\delta_{\epsilon}[/tex] if [tex]\delta_{\epsilon}\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}X^{\mu}[/tex] for some function/tensor/field thingy [tex]X^{\mu}[/tex]. This I've no problem with.

However, is the same true for a covariant derivative? If [tex]\delta_{\epsilon}\mathcal{L} = D_{\mu}X^{\mu}[/tex] where [tex]D_{\mu}\varphi = \partial_{\mu}\varphi + g[A_{\mu},\varphi][/tex], as you get in nonabelian field theory. Is the action still invariant? Obviously the [tex]\partial_{\mu}[/tex] part of [tex]D_{\mu}[/tex] represents no problem but I don't know if the [tex]g[A_{\mu},\varphi][/tex] term vanishes or not within the integral.

I've been doing some supersymmetry and a number of times I've got the answer the question has asked to find plus a covariant derivative of something. :cry: If I just got a mess of terms I'd know I'm way off, but the fact everything collects nicely into a covariant derivative makes me feel I'm at least on the right track.

Thanks for any help :)
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted