Partial/Complete charges and formal Charges?

• Thread starter hivesaeed4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the formal charge of an atom in an ion or molecule determines the charge on the atom itself, with a formal charge of zero indicating no charge and a non-zero formal charge indicating a complete charge. However, polarity can still result in a partial charge on the atom, regardless of the formal charge.
hivesaeed4
I'm reading the fundamentals of organic chemistry these days and I'd like to make sure I get the following absolutely right:

1) If a certain atom in an ion or a molecule etc has a formal charge of zero then the atom itself has no charge on itself irrespective of whatever the charge might be overall on the ion or the molecule.

2) If a certain atom in an ion or a molecule etc has a non-zero formal charge then the atom itself has a charge (a complete charge not a partial charge) on itself irrespective of whatever the charge might be on the complete ion or the molecule or even if the complete ion or molecule etc is neutral.

3) However due to (differences of) polarity (irrespective of the formal charge), an atom in an ion or a molecule etc. may have a partial charge.

Am I correct on all of the above three points?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My bad. In the third point I meant to write electronegativity instead of polarity.

You are correct.

Related to Partial/Complete charges and formal Charges?

1. What is the difference between partial charges and complete charges?

Partial charges refer to the unequal distribution of electrons in a covalent bond, resulting in a slightly positive or negative charge on each atom. Complete charges, on the other hand, occur when one atom completely gives up an electron to another atom, resulting in a full positive or negative charge on each atom.

2. How are partial charges calculated?

Partial charges are calculated using the electronegativity values of the atoms involved in a covalent bond. The more electronegative atom will have a partial negative charge, while the less electronegative atom will have a partial positive charge.

3. What is the purpose of formal charges?

Formal charges are used to determine the most stable Lewis structure of a molecule. They help to show the distribution of electrons and whether any atoms have gained or lost electrons in the formation of the molecule.

4. How are formal charges calculated?

Formal charges are calculated by subtracting the number of valence electrons of an atom in its neutral state from the number of electrons it has in a molecule. A formal charge of 0 indicates that the atom has the same number of electrons as its neutral state.

5. Can a molecule have both partial and formal charges?

Yes, a molecule can have both partial and formal charges. Partial charges occur in covalent bonds, while formal charges are found in molecules with ionic bonds or polar covalent bonds. These charges are not mutually exclusive and can coexist in a molecule.