1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative of a multivariable integral?

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Stumped.

Integral: f(x,y) = ∫ (from 1 to xy) of e^(t^2)dt
    find both fx and fy

3. The attempt at a solution

I've come up with:
    fx(x,y)
    = /∂x ∫ (from 1 to xy) of e^(t^2)dt

Not sure where to go... possibly take the integral, the take the partial derivative? I found a solution that moves the derivative into the integral. It just looks like magic to me... not sure what they did. Could someone please break it down for me?

attachment.php?attachmentid=40270&d=1319385838.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Leibniz's formula:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(x,t)dt= \frac{db}{dx}f(x,b(x))- \frac{da}{dx}f(x,a(x))+ \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dt[/tex]
    For each partial derivative, treat the other variable as a constant of course.
    Here, a(x)= 1, b(x)= xy, and [itex]f(x,y)= e^{t^2}[/itex] which does not depend on x or y so that last integral will be 0.

([itex]e^{t^2}[/itex] does not have an elementary integral so that is NOT the way to go!)

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    I remember from a problem I did a while back that the integral of e^{t^2} is not the way to go.

Here's my attempt at using the Liebnitz formula, but my answer is quite different, so perhaps I'm not using it correctly...

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1}^{xy} e^{t^2}dt= \frac{d(xy)}{dx}f(x,xy) - \frac{d(1)}{dx}f(x,1)+ 0[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1}^{xy} e^{t^2}dt= \frac{d(xy)}{dx}e^{(xy)^2} - \frac{d(1)}{dx}e^{1^2}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1}^{xy} e^{t^2}dt= 2xye^{(xy)^2} - 2(1)e[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1}^{xy} e^{t^2}dt= 2xye^{x^2y^2} - 2e[/tex]

I think my error might be in where I use say f(x,b(x)→f(x,xy)... I'm not sure how to do this. I just substituted xy for t, but that path doesn't seem to utilize the x component, just the t=xy component of the function. Not even sure if that makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook