Partial derivatives in thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of differentiating functions of multiple variables which are also functions of each other and how it relates to thermodynamics. The speaker is wondering if there are formal theorems for partial derivatives in this context and is referred to a resource for further information.
maxBrunsfeld
in basic multivariate calculus, i never learned about differentiating functions of multiple variables which are also functions of each other. i.e.

[itex] \frac{d}{d x_1} \left[ f(x_1, x_2, x_3) \right] [/itex]

where [itex] x_1 = g(x_2, x_3) [/itex]

studying thermodynamics right now, I'm encountering into expressions like

[itex] \mu = - \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial S} \right)_{N,V} \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial N} \right)_{U,V} [/itex]

where some particular variables are held fixed, but others are not. I'm wondering if there are formal theorems relating to partial derivatives like these or if you guys have any knowledge specifically relating to them.

Science news on Phys.org
maxBrunsfeld said:
i'm wondering if there are formal theorems relating to partial derivatives like these

All the thermodynamics textbooks that I've seen, spend some time discussing them early on.

If yours doesn't, you might try downloading Chapter 2 from

http://www.astro.uvic.ca/~tatum/thermod.html

which I found by doing a Google search for "partial derivatives in thermodynamics".

thank you. that's exactly the kind of thing i was looking for. sorry if that was so easy to find that it didn't warrant asking the forum.

1. What are partial derivatives in thermodynamics?

Partial derivatives in thermodynamics are a mathematical tool used to analyze how a system changes with respect to one of its variables while holding the others constant. They are commonly used to study the behavior of thermodynamic properties such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. How are partial derivatives used in thermodynamics?

Partial derivatives are used in thermodynamics to calculate how a thermodynamic property changes in response to changes in another variable. They are particularly useful in studying the relationships between different thermodynamic properties and how they affect each other.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative in thermodynamics?

A partial derivative in thermodynamics only considers the change in one variable while holding the others constant, whereas a total derivative takes into account changes in all variables. In other words, a partial derivative is a local change, while a total derivative is a global change.

4. Can you provide an example of how partial derivatives are used in thermodynamics?

Sure, let's say we have a gas in a container with a piston on top. We want to know how the pressure of the gas changes when we increase the temperature while keeping the volume constant. We would use a partial derivative to calculate this change in pressure with respect to temperature.

5. Are partial derivatives always necessary in thermodynamics?

No, partial derivatives are not always necessary in thermodynamics. They are most commonly used in more complex systems where the relationships between different thermodynamic properties are not straightforward. In simpler systems, basic algebraic equations can often be used to analyze changes in thermodynamic properties.