Partial Derivatives multivariable

In summary, the gradient is a vector that describes the change in a spatial variable over time. In physics, the gradient is always in terms of position coordinates: x,y,z in rectangular (Cartesian) coordinates, r,θ,φ in spherical coordinates, etc. For non-Cartesian coordinates, the formula for the gradient is different than above, partly to ensure that each component has the same units. Usually in physics the gradient implies a derivative of spatial coordinates only.
PFuser1232
I am quite new to the topic of multivariable calculus. I came across the concept of "gradient" (∇), and although the treatment was somewhat slapdash, I think I got the hang of it. Consider the following case:

##z = f(x,y,t)##

##∇z = \frac{∂z}{∂t} + \frac{∂z}{∂y} + \frac{∂z}{∂x}##

If we're dealing with a physical scenario, wherein the variables x, y and t have different units, how is it possible to compute ∇z?

Physics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
z=f(x,y,t)z = f(x,y,t)

z=∂zt+∂zy+∂zx∇z = \frac{∂z}{∂t} + \frac{∂z}{∂y} + \frac{∂z}{∂x}

No, the gradient is a vector. Each partial derivative is one component of the vector, and is multiplied by the unit vector in that direction. Also, I've never seen anyone use t (time) as part of a gradient (at least not in physics!) so I'll use u = f(x,y,z) instead: $$\vec \nabla u = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \hat x + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \hat y + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \hat z$$ Compare this to a generic vector $$\vec A = A_x \hat x + A_y \hat y + A_z \hat z$$ (Maybe your textbook uses ##\hat i##, ##\hat j##, ##\hat k## for the unit vectors instead of ##\hat x##, ##\hat y##, ##\hat z##)

MohammedRady97 said:
If we're dealing with a physical scenario, wherein the variables x, y and t have different units, how is it possible to compute ∇z?

In physics, the gradient is always in terms of position coordinates: x,y,z in rectangular (Cartesian) coordinates, r,θ,φ in spherical coordinates, etc. For non-Cartesian coordinates, the formula for the gradient is different than above, partly to ensure that each component has the same units.

Likes PFuser1232
Usually in physics the gradient implies a derivative of spatial coordinates only. Remember also that the gradient is a vector operator, such that
$$
\nabla f(x,y,t) = \frac{\partial f(x,y,t)}{\partial x} \mathbf{i} + \frac{\partial f(x,y,t)}{\partial y} \mathbf{j}
$$
where ##\mathbf{i}## and ##\mathbf{j}## are unit vectors along the x and y axes respectively.

Likes PFuser1232
jtbell said:
No, the gradient is a vector. Each partial derivative is one component of the vector, and is multiplied by the unit vector in that direction. Also, I've never seen anyone use t (time) as part of a gradient (at least not in physics!) so I'll use u = f(x,y,z) instead: $$\vec \nabla u = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \hat x + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \hat y + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \hat z$$ Compare this to a generic vector $$\vec A = A_x \hat x + A_y \hat y + A_z \hat z$$ (Maybe your textbook uses ##\hat i##, ##\hat j##, ##\hat k## for the unit vectors instead of ##\hat x##, ##\hat y##, ##\hat z##)
In physics, the gradient is always in terms of position coordinates: x,y,z in rectangular (Cartesian) coordinates, r,θ,φ in spherical coordinates, etc. For non-Cartesian coordinates, the formula for the gradient is different than above, partly to ensure that each component has the same units.

This clears it up, thanks!

I most often deal with the gradient in situations where there's no time dependence, e.g. electrostatics (##\vec E = -\vec \nabla V##), but DrClaude's interpretation of your original example is spot on. Just apply the derivatives to the spatial variables only, and carry the t's along as if they were constants.

Likes PFuser1232
jtbell said:
I most often deal with the gradient in situations where there's no time dependence, e.g. electrostatics (##\vec E = -\vec \nabla V##), but DrClaude's interpretation of your original example is spot on. Just apply the derivatives to the spatial variables only, and carry the t's along as if they were constants.
To give some context, one field where this is the case is quantum mechanics. Take for instance the Schrödinger equation for a free particle:
$$
\begin{align}
i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi(x,y,z,t) &= -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \psi(x,y,z,t) \\
&= -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left[ \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2} \right] \psi(x,y,z,t)
\end{align}
$$
where the time derivative is treated separately from the spatial derivatives. (Note that ##\nabla^2 = \nabla \cdot \nabla##, so it results in a scalar.)

Mohammed, you can also look up the D'Alambertian,[/PLAIN] which is used in special relativity when all 4 coordinates must be treated on the same footing. You will see that the speed of light is introduced to make it such that all the derivatives have the same units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PFuser1232
DrClaude said:
To give some context, one field where this is the case is quantum mechanics. Take for instance the Schrödinger equation for a free particle:
$$
\begin{align}
i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi(x,y,z,t) &= -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \psi(x,y,z,t) \\
&= -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left[ \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2} \right] \psi(x,y,z,t)
\end{align}
$$
where the time derivative is treated separately from the spatial derivatives. (Note that ##\nabla^2 = \nabla \cdot \nabla##, so it results in a scalar.)

Mohammed, you can also look up the D'Alambertian,[/PLAIN] which is used in special relativity when all 4 coordinates must be treated on the same footing. You will see that the speed of light is introduced to make it such that all the derivatives have the same units.

So, in the case of the Schrödinger equation, do we consider t to be constant (considering variations of spatial coordinates only at a particular time t)?

Last edited by a moderator:
MohammedRady97 said:
So, in the case of the Schrödinger equation, do we consider t to be constant (considering variations of spatial coordinates only at a particular time t)?

No, we can't consider time a constant in the Schrodinger equation because otherwise the partial derivative with respect to time, on the left hand side, would just be 0. When we take the gradient, we are taking a partial derivative with respect to spatial coordinates. Recall from elementary multivariable calculus that to take the partial derivative with respect to one variable, we take the derivative as if the other variables are constant. But of course, the other variables are not actually constant, we just treat them as such when we are taking the partial derivative.

MohammedRady97 said:

if you're talking about calculating spatial derivatives, yes you keep t constant when differentiating. but in general t cannot be a constant. it is one of the independent variables, the four coordinates, (x,y,z,t)

What are partial derivatives in multivariable calculus?

Partial derivatives in multivariable calculus are a way to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. In other words, it measures how much a function changes when only one of its variables changes.

Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze and understand how a function is changing in multiple dimensions. They are also essential in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and machine learning.

How do you find partial derivatives?

To find a partial derivative, you must hold all other variables constant and then take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable you are interested in. This is similar to finding a regular derivative, but with more than one independent variable.

In what real-world situations are partial derivatives used?

Partial derivatives are used in many real-world situations, such as predicting the weather, optimizing production processes, and analyzing financial data. They are also essential in physics for understanding how systems change over time.

What is the relationship between partial derivatives and total derivatives?

Partial derivatives and total derivatives are related in that the total derivative is the sum of all the partial derivatives. In other words, the total derivative considers how a function changes with respect to all of its variables, while the partial derivative only looks at how it changes with respect to one variable.