Partial Derivatives: Solving f = z(sqrt(x^2+y^2))

In summary: Good. Don't worry about dz/du, we'll come to that later. So now we have,\frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} + \frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} = \left[\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2\right]\frac{d^2 z}{d u^2} + \left[\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}\right]\frac{d z}{du}Do you agree?Note that I have change the
Lyn
I am stuck on the question,

'If f is a twice differentiable function of a single variable, find f = z(sqrt(x^2+y^2)) that satisfies d^2z/dx^2 +d^2z/dy^2 = x^2 +y^2

(ALL d's ARE MEANT TO BE PARTIAL DERIVATIVES)

i know dz/dx=(dz/du).(du/dx)
i can find du/dx but i don't know how to find dz/du

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums Lyn.

HINT: Let u = (x2 + y2)1/2

HINT (2): Using you definition of dz/dx above, can you write down an expression for d2z/dx2?

Isn't this suppose to be [itex]z=f(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})[/itex] In which f is a twice differentiable function?

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to Physics Forums Lyn.

HINT: Let u = (x2 + y2)1/2

HINT (2): Using you definition of dz/dx above, can you write down an expression for d2z/dx2?

Thank you for replying.

Yes I have set u=sqrt(x^2+y^2)

Would d^2z/dx^2=d/dx.(dz/dx)?

So far i have dz/dx=(x/u).dz/du but i am unsure of how to find dz/du so i can't carry on my calculation

Lyn said:
Thank you for replying.

Yes I have set u=sqrt(x^2+y^2)

Would d^2z/dx^2=d/dx.(dz/dx)?

So far i have dz/dx=(x/u).dz/du but i am unsure of how to find dz/du so i can't carry on my calculation
You don't need to find dz/du. Let's just start working though it. We have

[tex]\frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{dz}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]\begin{aligned}
\frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} & = \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dz}{dx}\right) \\
& =\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dz}{du}\frac{du}{dx}\right)
\end{aligned}[/tex]

Can you take the next couple of steps?

Hootenanny said:
You don't need to find dz/du. Let's just start working though it. We have

[tex]\frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{dz}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]\begin{aligned}
& =\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dz}{du}\frac{du}{dx}\right)
\end{aligned}[/tex]

Can you take the next couple of steps?

i'm slightly confused. how do i find dz/dx because i don't have an equation with z equal to an equation with x variables?

Lyn said:
i'm slightly confused. how do i find dz/dx because i don't have an equation with z equal to an equation with x variables?
It doesn't matter, if you work the problem through you'll find that you don't actually need to know the explicit form of z=z(x,y).

Simply expand the expression in the final line of my previous post.

ok i tried to expand your expression, not really sure but i get

d^2z/dx^2=d/dx(dz/du.du/dx)
=d/dx((dz/dx.dx/du+dz/dy.dy/du).du/dx)

then i could change dz/dx again but then i get a dz/du again and then i keep going round in circles

Lyn said:
ok i tried to expand your expression, not really sure but i get

d^2z/dx^2=d/dx(dz/du.du/dx)
=d/dx((dz/dx.dx/du+dz/dy.dy/du).du/dx)

then i could change dz/dx again but then i get a dz/du again and then i keep going round in circles
Not entirely sure what you're doing there. Let me do it for dz/dx,

[tex]\begin{aligned}
& =\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dz}{du}\frac{du}{dx}\right) \\
& = \frac{du}{dx}\frac{d}{dx}\frac{dz}{du} + \frac{dz}{du}\frac{d}{dx}\frac{du}{dx} \\
& = \frac{du}{dx}\left(\frac{d}{du}\frac{dz}{du}\right)\frac{du}{dx} + \frac{dz}{du}\frac{d^2u}{dx^2} \\
& = \left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)^2\frac{d^2 z}{du^2} + \frac{dz}{du}\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}
\end{aligned}[/tex]

Do you follow?

Can you now do the same for dz/dy?

Hootenanny said:
Not entirely sure what you're doing there. Let me do it for dz/dx,

[tex]\begin{aligned}
& =\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dz}{du}\frac{du}{dx}\right) \\
& = \frac{du}{dx}\frac{d}{dx}\frac{dz}{du} + \frac{dz}{du}\frac{d}{dx}\frac{du}{dx} \\
& = \frac{du}{dx}\left(\frac{d}{du}\frac{dz}{du}\right)\frac{du}{dx} + \frac{dz}{du}\frac{d^2u}{dx^2} \\
& = \left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)^2\frac{d^2 z}{du^2} + \frac{dz}{du}\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}
\end{aligned}[/tex]

Do you follow?

Can you now do the same for dz/dy?

I haven't actually seen expanding like that before, like i don't really get your third line of working and where the addition sign came from but i can follow the rest.

I have done the same for dz/dy

d^2z/dy^2=d/dy(dz/dy)=d/dy(dz/du.du/dy)=d/dy.dz/du.du/dy+dz/du.d/dy.du/dy
=d^2z/du^2(du/dy)^2+dz/du.d^2u/dy^2

but there is still the problem that i can't work out dz/du. i have a feeling I'm misunderstanding or missing a really important point but i don't know what?

Lyn said:
I haven't actually seen expanding like that before, like i don't really get your third line of working and where the addition sign came from but i can follow the rest.
In going from the second line to the third, I have simply used the product rule since both dz/du and du/dx are functions of x. Does that make sense?
Lyn said:
I have done the same for dz/dy

d^2z/dy^2=d/dy(dz/dy)=d/dy(dz/du.du/dy)=d/dy.dz/du.du/dy+dz/du.d/dy.du/dy
=d^2z/du^2(du/dy)^2+dz/du.d^2u/dy^2

but there is still the problem that i can't work out dz/du. i have a feeling I'm misunderstanding or missing a really important point but i don't know what?
Good. Don't worry about dz/du, we'll come to that later. So now we have,

[tex]\frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} + \frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} = \left[\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2\right]\frac{d^2 z}{d u^2} + \left[\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}\right]\frac{d z}{du}[/tex]

Do you agree?

Note that I have change the ordinary differentials du/dx and du/dx to partial differentials since u is a function of two variables, u=u(x,y). Technically I should have used partial differentials from the start.

Hootenanny said:
In going from the second line to the third, I have simply used the product rule since both dz/du and du/dx are functions of x. Does that make sense?

Good. Don't worry about dz/du, we'll come to that later. So now we have,

[tex]\frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} + \frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} = \left[\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2\right]\frac{d^2 z}{d u^2} + \left[\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}\right]\frac{d z}{du}[/tex]

Do you agree?

Note that I have change the ordinary differentials du/dx and du/dx to partial differentials since u is a function of two variables, u=u(x,y). Technically I should have used partial differentials from the start.

Yes thank you, up to here i understand. now i just don't see how i can carry on the calculation to get it equal to x^2+y^2 i.e. u^2

Lyn said:
Yes thank you, up to here i understand. now i just don't see how i can carry on the calculation to get it equal to x^2+y^2 i.e. u^2
You are told in the question that this quantity is equal to u2. So we now have,

[tex]\left[\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2\right]\frac{d^2 z}{d u^2} + \left[\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}\right]\frac{d z}{du} = u^2[/tex]

Now it's time for you to do a little work. All that's left for you to do is evaluate the partial derivatives and solve the resulting ODE.

ok i think I'm getting there. thenk you so much for all your help, i'll try finish it off now

Related to Partial Derivatives: Solving f = z(sqrt(x^2+y^2))

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

2. How do you solve for partial derivatives?

To solve for partial derivatives, you need to take the derivative of the function with respect to one variable while treating the other variables as constants. This will result in a new function, known as the partial derivative, which represents the rate of change of the original function with respect to that specific variable.

3. What is the purpose of taking partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are useful for understanding how a function changes in different directions. They can also be used to optimize functions in multivariable calculus, such as finding maximum or minimum values.

4. How do you apply partial derivatives to the function f = z(sqrt(x^2+y^2))?

To apply partial derivatives to this function, you would first take the derivative with respect to x, treating y as a constant. Then, you would take the derivative with respect to y, treating x as a constant. This would result in two partial derivatives, one with respect to x and one with respect to y.

5. Are there any special rules for taking partial derivatives?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when taking partial derivatives, such as the product rule and chain rule. It is important to also consider any implicit relationships between variables in the function and to properly treat constants as such.