1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial differential derivation

1. Mar 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, I am having a problem, knowing where to start with this question. Before I spend trying derive the partial derivative chain rule from first principles I would just like to know if this is what this questions is asking. If it is not asking that, how do I go about solving it.
    upload_2017-3-3_2-20-29.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have not shown solution beacuse I am unware where to start

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2017 #2
    I have mange to come up with one solution, which: If I think that y,x are all functions of t. Then I could say: dx=dx/dt *dt and dy=dy/dt *dt sub in to the total differential and get ##\partial{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}*dt+\partial{df}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt}*dt## I am just unsure of this method, I feel like I am cheating, any advice?

4. Mar 3, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This -- ##\partial{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}*dt+\partial{df}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt}*dt## -- doesn't make any sense. The expression ##df## is defined (it's the differential of f), but this one ##\partial f## doesn't mean anything.

You have f(x, y) where x is a function of t and y is another function of t. This means that f is ultimately a function of t, albeit one with two parameters.

5. Mar 4, 2017 #4
    Sorry for the bad latex, I did eventually solve the problem. I was over thinking the problem and thought I had to derive partial chain rule from first principles, which I on my way to doing, by deriving the non partial chain rule. As a question, am I on the right lines if I derive chain rule from first principles then, then apply the same method to partial, would I be able to derive the above formula?

6. Mar 4, 2017 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Which formula above do you mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted