Partial differentials (Need some reminders)

In summary: From there, differentiate and use the Chain Rule to solve for 'U'. This will give you a function of one variable, which you can solve for 'T'. Thank you for your time!In summary, the student was not able to solve the given differential equation. The given equation is a partial differential equation with the following form: pT/pt = A*p^2T/px^2 + B*f(x). The initial conditions are given as T(0) = k1 and T>0, x=0 - c(∂T/∂2) = k2. The student was unable to separate the variables and was not able to find an analytical solution to the equation.
chrispsiler
It's been awhile since I've taken a differential equations course, so I just could not wrap my head around this one.

Homework Statement

I was given a lot of variables but it boils down to a partial differential equation that looks like:
pT/pt = A*p^2T/px^2 + B*f(x)

I am not looking for an answer to my particular problem, I want to understand how to go about solving it. I remember the basic differential problem form of eigenvalues---}general form---} particular solution for IVP's but I was given a problem with partials and my mind went blank!

Homework Equations

I wasn't sure where to start!

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you integrate with respect to a partial derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
chrispsiler said:
It's been awhile since I've taken a differential equations course, so I just could not wrap my head around this one.

Homework Statement

I was given a lot of variables but it boils down to a partial differential equation that looks like:
pT/pt = A*p^2T/px^2 + B*f(x)

I am not looking for an answer to my particular problem, I want to understand how to go about solving it. I remember the basic differential problem form of eigenvalues---}general form---} particular solution for IVP's but I was given a problem with partials and my mind went blank!

Homework Equations

I wasn't sure where to start!

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you integrate with respect to a partial derivative?
Hello chrispsiler. Welcome to PF!

Is that equation: ∂T/∂t = (A)(∂2T/∂x2) + (B)f(x) ?

Yes, exactly. I was also given initial conditions of the form:
T(0) for all x = k1
T>0 , x=0 -c(∂T/∂2) = k2
x=n , ∂T/∂x = k3
where k1, k2, k3, n, and c are all given values.

I tried treating it as a regular differential, but ran into a wall trying separation of variables and did not know how to think about it in my head. The given '-c(∂T/∂2) = k2' made me think that separation and integration were the way to go, but I could not separate the variables.

It looks like the formula implies that a function of 'T' partially differentiated with respect to 't' equals the same function of 'T' partially differentiated twice with respect to 'x' added to a function of 'x'. What I don't understand is how you can find an analytical solution, because if something is partially differentiated with respect to one variable and to one other variable would not that allow the original function to be a function of infinitely many variables and still be expressible in that specific form? Thank you for any consideration or help, in advance!

Try writing T = U + h(x), where h satisfies Ah" + Bf = 0.

Related to Partial differentials (Need some reminders)

1. What is a partial differential?

A partial differential is a type of differential equation that involves multiple variables and partial derivatives. It is used to describe how a system changes over time or space, and is commonly used in mathematics and physics.

2. How is a partial differential equation different from an ordinary differential equation?

While an ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. This makes it more complex and difficult to solve, but also allows for a more accurate description of systems with multiple variables.

3. What are some common applications of partial differentials?

Partial differential equations are commonly used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model heat transfer, fluid dynamics, population growth, financial markets, and many other systems.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative is taken with respect to one variable while holding the other variables constant, while a total derivative takes into account all variables and their interdependence. In other words, a partial derivative measures how a system changes in one direction, while a total derivative measures how it changes overall.

5. How do you solve a partial differential equation?

Solving a partial differential equation can be a complex process and often requires advanced mathematical techniques. One approach is to use separation of variables, where the equation is split into simpler equations for each variable. Another approach is to use numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, to approximate the solution.