1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial differentiation of cos (in vector calculus)

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So using standard spherical polar co-ordinates, my notes define a sphere as

r(s,t) = aCos(s)Sin(t) i + aSin(s)Sin(t) j + aCos(t) k

and the normal to the surface is given by the cross product of the two partial differentials:

[itex]\partial[/itex]r[itex]/\partial[/itex]s X [itex]\partial[/itex]r[itex]/dt[/itex]

So my issue is what is in my notes where:

[itex]\partial[/itex]r[itex]/\partial s[/itex]= -aSin(s)Sin(t) i + aCos(s)Sin(t) j + aCot(t) k

It is the final part that I don't understand. Why is the partial differential of Cos(t) with respect to s Cot(t)? I would have calculated it as zero.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\partial[/itex][itex]/[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]s (aCos(t)) = aCot(t) ???

3. The attempt at a solution

All I can think is that it's using a trig identity? As I understand it the k component should only depend upon t, not just from the above equations but in spherical polar co-ordinates in general, at least how I'm picturing it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with you. That looks completely wrong. It should be 0. And it's such a weird mistake that I kept staring at it for some time, wondering if I had misunderstood something. I guess that's what you're doing too. :smile:

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    I keep thinking it must be a mistake too, but if it is a mistake then it is deliberate, as it has been repeated in a number of places. And during lectures where we go through the notes it was never picked up on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook