1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fractions Complex Decomposition

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sorry I don't have equation editor working

1/(z+1)(z2 + 2z + 2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(z2 + 2z + 2)

z2 + 1) can be factor as (z - i)(z + i) However, I'm having trouble seeing the pattern on what (z2 + 2z + 2) would become, I tried guessing and checking but haven't found anything that works... I can't find a value for z that would make that equation 0.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to guess the roots. You could just use the quadratic equation to find them.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    haha, okay, couldn't I just do

1/(z+1)(z2 + 2z + 2)

then

1/(z+1)(z2 + 2z + 2) = A/(z2 + 2z + 2) + B/(z+1)

Then 1 = A(z+1) + B(z2 + 2z + 2)

First let z = -1 solve for B, so I found B to be 1. Knowing that couldn't I let z = anything, and solve for A?

5. Dec 10, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could try. But you'd find what you get for A is dependent on what you pick for z. There's no A and B that will work for all z. (z^2+2z+2) is the product of two linear factors. You have to split it up completely to make partial fractions work.

6. Dec 10, 2009 #5
    Got it, thanks a million

7. Dec 10, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or you could try writing it as (A*z+B)/(z^2+2z+2)+C/(z+1) if you want a real decomposition. Forgot to mention that possibility.

8. Dec 10, 2009 #7
    You can also obtain the partial fraction decomposition by computing the residues at the poles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook