Partial Pressure: Higher SP Determines P

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure in a vessel holding two substances in both liquid and gas states. The question is whether the pressure will be equal to the saturation pressure of the substance with the higher saturation pressure. It is suggested that the gases will evaporate independently and the total pressure will be the sum of the two partial pressures. However, there may be some deviation from this due to the influence of the two substances on each other. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that someone with a stronger background in physics may have a better understanding of the situation.
Yuri B.
Am I assuming right the pressure in a vessel holding two substances (both being in the both liquid and gas states) will be equal to the saturation prerssure of the one which has the higher SP ? That is, for substance A whose SP at a given temp. is 10 B, for instance, and substance B whose SP is 15 B, the partial P will be 15 B?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you think that ? That would suggest that the gas with higher saturation pressure somehow prevents the other gas from evaporating, but that is hard to believe.

Do you mean it is over 15 B ?

My guess would be that the gases will evaporate almost independently, so both gases will have their respective pressure as if they were alone in the vessel. Then total pressure will be the sum of the two partial pressures. However, even approximately true, some deviation from simple sum should be expected, since the two substances influence each other, more in the liquid and at least a little bit in the gas...

Jano L. said:
My guess would be that the gases will evaporate almost independently, so both gases will have their respective pressure as if they were alone in the vessel. Then total pressure will be the sum of the two partial pressures.
Yes, those were my thoughts as well.

However, even approximately true, some deviation from simple sum should be expected, since the two substances influence each other, more in the liquid and at least a little bit in the gas...
Hmm, you bring up a good point. If the liquids are not mixed, I expect the total pressure should still be the sum of the two vapor pressures. But if the liquids are mixed, I guess you could get some boiling point elevation, which suggests a lowering of the vapor pressure at a given temperature.

Just an educated guess on my part after reading your post. Somebody with a stronger chemistry background may know better.

Redbelly98 said:
Somebody with a stronger chemistry background may know better.
It is not chemistry but rather physics.

What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure is the pressure exerted by a single gas component in a mixture of gases. It is a measure of the individual contribution of that gas to the total pressure.

How is partial pressure calculated?

Partial pressure is calculated by multiplying the total pressure by the mole fraction of the gas in the mixture. The mole fraction is the ratio of the number of moles of the gas to the total number of moles in the mixture.

What is the relationship between partial pressure and vapor pressure?

Partial pressure and vapor pressure are both measures of the pressure exerted by a gas. However, partial pressure is the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture, while vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by a gas when it is in equilibrium with its liquid or solid form.

Why does a higher saturation pressure determine the partial pressure of a gas?

The saturation pressure of a gas is the pressure at which its liquid and gaseous form are in equilibrium. When the saturation pressure is higher, it means that more of the gas molecules can escape from the liquid and contribute to the partial pressure in the gas mixture.

What are some real-world applications of partial pressure?

Partial pressure is used in many scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is particularly important in gas laws, gas exchange in the human body, and industrial processes such as distillation and fermentation.