Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Partially ordered set

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1

ar6

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7967/73673315fq3.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am quite confused as to how to define the function. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2
    The new set, [tex] f(a) [/tex], is a set consisting of all [tex] x \epsilon A [/tex] s.t. [tex] x \leq a [/tex].

For example, consider [tex] A = \mathbb{N} [/tex]. Look at [tex] f(5) [/tex]. This is simply [tex] \{1,2,3,4,5\} [/tex].

So, for the first part, you need to show that

[tex] f(a)=f(b) \Rightarrow a=b [/tex]

I'll stop here, just in case you need more assistance.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  4. Nov 20, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

In other words, f(a) is the set of all members of A that are less than or equal to a.

If A were the set of real numbers with the usual order (which is, or course, not "partial"), then f(3)= ([itex]-\infty[/itex],3]. If A were a collection of sets, with "<" meaning set inclusion (that is a "partial" order) then f(a) is the collection of all subsets of a.

5. Nov 20, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's wrong with [itex]f(a) = \{ \, x \mid x \in A \wedge x \leq a \, \}[/itex]?

6. Nov 20, 2007 #5

ar6

Yea I was confused last night and reading too much into the question. I got it (i think) now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook