Particle Accelerators and Angular momentum (Crazy question)

In summary: Light%20Sources%20Report%202012.pdfSynchrotron light sources now vastly outnumber high energy machines.
dkotschessaa
Prompted by my visit to Fermilab last week...

I'm sure somebody has thought of this, but I'd be interested on hearing what the challenges would be. So, in order for us to accelerate particles to higher and higher speeds, we are needing larger accelerators. But what if, in order to get around this challenge, we build a synchotron which mechanically contracts itself into a smaller circle once the particles have started, thus conserving angular momentum and causing the particle to go faster?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not getting the particles to the necessary speed that is the problem, it is the loss of energy due to radiation each time the particles go through a bending magnet to keep them on a (roughly) circular orbit.

For this reason high energy accelerators become bigger and bigger, to make the radius of curvature bigger and thus the centripetal acceleration smaller.

There even are a few designs to build linear colliders to avoid these losses - the ill-fated SSC, and the Stanford Linear Collider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAC_National_Accelerator_Laboratory#Stanford_Linear_Collider

This Wiki entry has a nice section on circular and linear colliders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Linear_Collider

Last edited:
M Quack said:
It is not getting the particles to the necessary speed that is the problem, it is the loss of energy due to radiation each time the particles go through a bending magnet to keep them on a (roughly) circular orbit.

I see... We visited argonne as well, and I believe this is the "annoying radiation" that they actually utilize in the work that they do.

For this reason high energy accelerators become bigger and bigger, to make the radius of curvature bigger and thus the centripetal acceleration smaller.

I see.

There even are a few designs to build linear colliders to avoid these losses - the ill-fated SSC, and the Stanford Linear Collider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAC_National_Accelerator_Laboratory#Stanford_Linear_Collider

This Wiki entry has a nice section on circular and linear colliders:

Thank you.

-Dave K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Linear_Collider[/QUOTE]

That only matters for electrons. For proton accelerators, synchrotron radiation is irrelevant when it comes to the maximum energy.

When you shrink your synchrotron, what keeps the protons in their orbit? Remember, the beam is in vacuum, not scraping against the walls.

Vanadium 50 said:
That only matters for electrons. For proton accelerators, synchrotron radiation is irrelevant when it comes to the maximum energy.

By "that" you mean the loss of energy that M Quack was talking about?

When you shrink your synchrotron, what keeps the protons in their orbit? Remember, the beam is in vacuum, not scraping against the walls.

Well I was thinking that there could be some way of designing a magnet that could pull itself inward while the beam is zipping around and the whole thing is shrinking.

I realize that if it was feasible somebody would have done it by now.

-DaveK

When you shrink the magnet, the field has to go up, right? So why not build a stronger magnet to begin with?

dkotschessaa said:
I see... We visited argonne as well, and I believe this is the "annoying radiation" that they actually utilize in the work that they do.

If you visited the APS, they don't actually use those "annoying radiation". Instead, what they tend to use is the radiation generated when the electron bunches passed through various insertion devices, such as undulators and wigglers.

Zz.

...which are nothing else than extra magnets to create even more "annoying radiation". The resulting x-rays can burn holes through steel (the x-rays, not the electron beam).

Synchrotron light sources now vastly outnumber high energy machines.

http://www.lightsources.org/cms/

FAQ: Particle Accelerators and Angular momentum (Crazy question)

1. What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles, such as protons or electrons, to very high speeds. This allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of these particles in a controlled environment.

2. How do particle accelerators work?

Particle accelerators work by using electric fields to accelerate the particles and magnetic fields to steer them in a desired direction. The particles are then sent through a series of accelerating structures, such as radio frequency cavities, which increase their speed.

3. Why are particle accelerators important in scientific research?

Particle accelerators are important in scientific research because they allow scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter, such as subatomic particles, and the laws that govern their behavior. They also have practical applications in fields such as medicine, where they are used in cancer treatment and medical imaging.

4. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that describes its tendency to continue rotating. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. Angular momentum is conserved, meaning it remains constant unless an external torque is applied.

5. How is angular momentum related to particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators use magnetic fields to steer particles in a circular path, which requires a change in their direction of motion. This change in direction causes the particles to have angular momentum. By controlling the strength and direction of the magnetic fields, scientists can control the angular momentum of the particles and observe its effects on their behavior.

Back