Particle decaying into two daughter particles - special relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical calculation involving energy, momentum, and mass. The speaker is trying to understand their mistake in finding a velocity that is greater than the speed of light. They use equations and substitutions to arrive at a solution, which is a velocity of 8.90x10^16 and a value for y.
physconomics
Homework Statement
A D meson decays into a K and pi-meson. Calculate energy and velocity of pi meson
Relevant Equations
E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4
Four vectors
rest mass of D = 1.86GEV/C^2
K = 0.5GEV/C^2
PI = 0.13GEV/C^2
Right, so I thought I'd done this correctly but clearly not because my velocity is greater than the speed of light, where have I gone wrong?

P = (M, 0, 0, 0)
p1 = (E1, p1x, p1y, p1z)
p2 = (E2, p2x, p2y, p2z)
P = p1 + p2
p2 = P - p1
square each side
to get (p2)2 = P2 - 2Pp1 + p12
therefore
(m2)2 = M2 - 2ME1 + m12
So E1 = (M2 - m12 + m22) / (2M)
which gives 0.867GeV

then
p1 = sqrt(E12 - m12) = 1.372x10^-10
then because p1=ymv, v = 8.90x10^16
where y = 0.867/0.13

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
physconomics said:
p1 = sqrt(E12 - m12) = 1.372x10^-10
then because p1=ymv, v = 8.90x10^16
where y = 0.867/0.13
Can you explain this?

1. What is the process of particle decay in special relativity?

In special relativity, particle decay is the process by which a single particle transforms into two or more daughter particles. This occurs when the initial particle has more mass than the combined mass of the daughter particles, resulting in the release of energy in the form of kinetic energy for the daughter particles.

2. How does special relativity affect the decay process?

In special relativity, the concept of mass-energy equivalence (E=mc^2) plays a crucial role in particle decay. This means that as the initial particle decays into daughter particles, the released energy must also conserve the total mass of the system. This can result in the daughter particles having higher energies than the initial particle, as they have less mass.

3. What is the role of momentum conservation in particle decay?

In special relativity, momentum conservation is also important in particle decay. This is because, in addition to conserving mass-energy, the total momentum of the system must also be conserved. This can result in the daughter particles having opposite momentums to balance out the initial particle's momentum.

4. How does the speed of the initial particle affect the decay process?

According to special relativity, the speed of the initial particle can affect the decay process. As the initial particle approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, making it more likely to decay into daughter particles with lower mass. This can also result in the daughter particles having higher speeds than the initial particle.

5. Can special relativity explain all types of particle decay?

While special relativity plays a crucial role in understanding particle decay, it cannot explain all types of decays. For example, it does not account for strong nuclear force interactions, which play a significant role in nuclear decays. To fully understand all types of particle decay, a combination of special relativity and quantum mechanics is needed.