Particle Focusing in a Uniform Magnetic Field

  • Thread starter Thread starter bon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    B field Field
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
bon
Messages
547
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Particles with charge e and mass m are emitted with velocity v from a point source. Their directions of emission make a small angle with the direction of a uniform constant flux density B. Show that the particles are focussed to a point at a distance 2pi mv/Be from their source and at integral multiples of this distance.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Can't see how this will lead to focussing? solving F = e(vxB) i get that the x and y components of velocity will be constant while md^2 z/dt^2 = -Bevsin(theta) - which doesn't lead to focussing!

Anyone see how I can solve this?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi bon! :smile:
bon said:
¬ solving F = e(vxB) i get that the x and y components of velocity will be constant while md^2 z/dt^2 = -Bevsin(theta) …

no, the z component is constant, and the x and y vary …

try dotting v' = (e/m) v x B with v or with B …

then concentrate just on the x and y components :wink:​
 
tiny-tim said:
hi bon! :smile:


no, the z component is constant, and the x and y vary …

try dotting v' = (e/m) v x B with v or with B …

then concentrate just on the x and y components :wink:​


Hi!

Thanks - i see where i went wrong now. But I am still getting the wrong answer...I get dist = v2pi/w rather than v2pi/w^2

I find that x = A sinwt, y = B sinwt i.e. both =0 where wt = 2pi etc.. but that is where t = 2pi/w

but z = vcostheta t

so if theta is small, z = vt, = v(2pi/w)

Where have i gone wrong?

Thanks!
 
hi bon! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
bon said:
I find that x = A sinwt, y = B sinwt i.e. both =0 where wt = 2pi etc..

where do you get that from?

since the original equation is in v, it might be safer to start with an equation in x' and y' rather than x and y :wink:
 
bon said:
I find that x = A sinwt, y = B sinwt

these are not the results I get. how did you arrive at them?
 
tiny-tim said:
hi bon! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)


where do you get that from?

since the original equation is in v, it might be safer to start with an equation in x' and y' rather than x and y :wink:



Hi Tiny Tim

I got this from F = ma = q(vxB)

I got that x'' = -(eB/m)^2 x, which, together with the boundary conditions gives this solution...

I got x'' = -(eB/m)^2 x from the eom.
 
hi bon! :smile:
bon said:
I got this from F = ma = q(vxB)

I got that x'' = -(eB/m)^2 x

i don't understand how you got an equation in x from a (first-degree) equation in v :confused: