Particle Focusing in a Uniform Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses how particles with charge e and mass m are emitted from a point source with velocity v and direction making a small angle with a uniform constant flux density B. It is shown that the particles are focused to a point at a distance of 2pi mv/Be from their source, and at integral multiples of this distance. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the problem and clarifying equations.
bon

Homework Statement

Particles with charge e and mass m are emitted with velocity v from a point source. Their directions of emission make a small angle with the direction of a uniform constant flux density B. Show that the particles are focussed to a point at a distance 2pi mv/Be from their source and at integral multiples of this distance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't see how this will lead to focussing? solving F = e(vxB) i get that the x and y components of velocity will be constant while md^2 z/dt^2 = -Bevsin(theta) - which doesn't lead to focussing!

Anyone see how I can solve this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bon! :smile:
bon said:
¬ solving F = e(vxB) i get that the x and y components of velocity will be constant while md^2 z/dt^2 = -Bevsin(theta) …

no, the z component is constant, and the x and y vary …

try dotting v' = (e/m) v x B with v or with B

then concentrate just on the x and y components :wink:

tiny-tim said:

no, the z component is constant, and the x and y vary …

try dotting v' = (e/m) v x B with v or with B

then concentrate just on the x and y components :wink:

Hi!

Thanks - i see where i went wrong now. But I am still getting the wrong answer...I get dist = v2pi/w rather than v2pi/w^2

I find that x = A sinwt, y = B sinwt i.e. both =0 where wt = 2pi etc.. but that is where t = 2pi/w

but z = vcostheta t

so if theta is small, z = vt, = v(2pi/w)

Where have i gone wrong?

Thanks!

(have an omega: ω and a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
bon said:
I find that x = A sinwt, y = B sinwt i.e. both =0 where wt = 2pi etc..

where do you get that from?

since the original equation is in v, it might be safer to start with an equation in x' and y' rather than x and y :wink:

bon said:
I find that x = A sinwt, y = B sinwt

these are not the results I get. how did you arrive at them?

tiny-tim said:

(have an omega: ω and a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

where do you get that from?

since the original equation is in v, it might be safer to start with an equation in x' and y' rather than x and y :wink:

Hi Tiny Tim

I got this from F = ma = q(vxB)

I got that x'' = -(eB/m)^2 x, which, together with the boundary conditions gives this solution...

I got x'' = -(eB/m)^2 x from the eom.

bon said:
I got this from F = ma = q(vxB)

I got that x'' = -(eB/m)^2 x

i don't understand how you got an equation in x from a (first-degree) equation in v :confused:

Related to Particle Focusing in a Uniform Magnetic Field

1. What is "Focussing in a B field"?

Focussing in a B field refers to the process of controlling the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field. This is achieved by adjusting the strength and orientation of the magnetic field to alter the trajectory of the particles.

2. Why is focussing in a B field important in scientific research?

Focussing in a B field is important because it allows scientists to manipulate and study charged particles in a controlled manner. This is crucial in many fields, such as particle physics and nuclear physics, where charged particles play a significant role in the behavior of matter.

3. How does focussing in a B field work?

Focussing in a B field works by using the Lorentz force, which is the force experienced by a charged particle moving in a magnetic field. This force acts perpendicular to both the particle's velocity and the magnetic field, and can be used to bend the particle's trajectory and focus it towards a desired location.

4. What types of equipment are used for focussing in a B field?

There are various types of equipment used for focussing in a B field, such as electromagnets, permanent magnets, and magnetic lenses. These devices can be adjusted to create a specific magnetic field and focus the particles accordingly.

5. What are some practical applications of focussing in a B field?

Focussing in a B field has many practical applications, including particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and MRI machines. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of semiconductors and in the purification of metals.