Particle Kinematics: Find Acceleration & Streamlines

In summary, the given problem involves finding the divergence of a steady helical flow of a fluid, which is found to be 0. The acceleration of a particle at a specific point is also calculated and found to be (-U^2(x1), -U^2(x2), 0). To find the streamlines, the parametric equations x1= Acos(Ut) + Bsin(Ut), x2=Asin(Ut) - Bcos(Ut), x3=Vt+C are derived, where A, B, and C are constants and x3 is the integral of v3. The other two equations are found using the fact that \dot{\vec{x}}\equiv\vec{v
sara_87

Homework Statement

The velocity in a steady helical flow of a fluid is given by:
v1= -Ux2, v2=Ux1, v3=V
where U and V are constant.
show that divv is 0 and find the acceleration of the particle at x.
Also determine the streamlines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

to find the divergence, if we differentiate v1 wrt x1, we get 0, and differentiating v2 wrt x2, we get 0 and differentiating v3 wrt x3, we get 0 so the devergence is 0.
but i am having problem finding the acceleration. i know the acceleration is differentiating the velocity with respect to time but what do they mean 'find the acceleration of the particle at x.' ??
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you elaborate a bit on what Ux2 and Ux1 are, and how they relate to U?

Ux1 and -Ux2 are the components of the velocity vector. U is just a constant.

By the way, the answer to the accelartion part is:
f1= -U^2(x1), f2= -U^2(x2), f3=0
where f1, f2, f3 are the components of the acceleration. But i don't understand how they came to this answer.

You have a position vector [tex]\vec{x}=(x_1,x_2,x_3)[/tex] and a velocity vector [tex]\vec{v}=(-Ux_1,Ux_2,V)[/tex], where U and V are constant.

What is the derivative of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] with respect to time? That is, for the first component, what is the time derivative of [itex]-Ux_1[/itex] where U is a constant?

Then, how is [tex]\dot{\vec{x}}[/tex] related to [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]?

when we differentiate -Ux1 with respect to time, we get zero. but i think that is wrong because x1 might be depending on the value of t.

Is the derivative of vector x the integral of vector v?

sara_87 said:
but i think that is wrong because x1 might be depending on the value of t.

Exactly, so the derivative of something like [tex]-Ux_1[/tex] is [tex]-U\dot{x_1}[/tex], since x_1 is a function of time.

Is the derivative of vector x the integral of vector v?

No: the derivative of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex], the displacement vector is the velocity. that is, [tex]\dot{\vec{x}} \equiv \vec{v}[/tex].

Oh right i see. so the way i came to the conclusion that div(v)=0 was wrong.
so for the acceleration, i differentiate v with respect to time.
but then where does the U^2 come from (in the answer)?

sara_87 said:
Oh right i see. so the way i came to the conclusion that div(v)=0 was wrong.

Yea, that's wrong: I didn't read that part.

The divergence is defined as [tex]\vec{\nabla}\cdot \vec{A} = (\frac{\partial A_1}{\partial x_1}, \frac{\partial A_2}{\partial x_2},\frac{\partial A_3}{\partial x_3})[/tex]. Plugging [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] into this will give the result.

so for the acceleration, i differentiate v with respect to time.
but then where does the U^2 come from (in the answer)?

You use the fact that [tex]\dot{\vec{x}}\equiv\vec{v}[/tex] to substitute for the x dots in your differentiated expression.

oh right i see, ofcourse i have substitute, that makes a lot of sense.Thank you.

How do i find the streamlines?
The answer says: helices given parametrically by x1= Acos(Ut) + Bsin(Ut),
x2=Asin(Ut) - Bcos(Ut), x3=Vt+C
where A,B,C are constants.
I understand that x3 is the integral of v3 but how then did they derive x1 and x2?

1. What is particle kinematics?

Particle kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of particles without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of particles over time.

2. How do I find the acceleration of a particle?

To find the acceleration of a particle, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed. Alternatively, you can also use calculus to find the acceleration by taking the derivative of the particle's velocity with respect to time.

3. What are streamlines in particle kinematics?

In particle kinematics, streamlines are imaginary lines that show the direction of motion of a particle at any given point in time. They are often represented as curved lines on a graph, with the tangent of the curve at any point indicating the direction of the particle's velocity.

4. How is particle kinematics used in real life?

Particle kinematics has many applications in real life, particularly in engineering, physics, and other sciences. It is used to study the motion of particles in fluids, such as air and water, which is important in designing aircrafts and ships. It is also used in analyzing the motion of projectiles, such as in sports like baseball and tennis, and in understanding the movement of particles in chemical reactions.

5. What are the units of acceleration in particle kinematics?

The units of acceleration in particle kinematics are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) in the SI (metric) system, or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system. Other commonly used units include centimeters per second squared (cm/s²) and kilometers per hour squared (km/h²).