Particle moving inside a rotating hollow tube

In summary: If you post your solution attempt (show your work) with a new thread, someone will probably help you.In summary, the problem involves a hollow tube rotating with a constant counterclockwise angular velocity of θ'=3rad/s. A 0.1-kg-particle is sliding in the tube towards O with a velocity of 1.2 m/s relative to the tube when the position θ=30 degrees is passed. The normal force exerted by the wall of the tube on the particle at that instant can be calculated using Newton's second law and working with polar coordinates. Neglecting friction, the normal force is equal to the weight of the particle and is given by N=mgcosθ. Using Newton's
zeralda21

Homework Statement

The hollow tube is pivoted about a horizontal axis through point O and is made to rotate in the vertical plane with a constant counterclockwise angular velocity θ'=3rad/s. If a 0.1-kg-particle is sliding in the tube toward O with a velocity of 1.2 m/s relative to the tube when the position θ=30 degrees is passed, calculate the magnitude N of the normal force exerted by the wall of the tube on the particle at that instant.

Homework Equations

Newtons second law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to work with polar coordinates for this problem and therefore I have drawn two unit vectors, e_(r) and e_(θ), where e_(r) is along the tube(away from O) and e_(θ) is perpendicular to e_(r).

We know that θ'=3rad/s and that v=r'=-1.2m/s since the particle is moving towards O. It follows that r''=0 since r' is constant.

I have drawn a free-body diagram and for the particle there is:

A force mgcosθ in the negative e_(θ) direction, a normal force N(Isn't there a frictional force too?But I have neglected it since no information is given about it).

Since it doesn't move in the e_(θ)-direction it means that N=mgcosθ. Now I try to use it in Newton II:

F_(r)=ma_(r)=m(r''-r(θ'^2)) but I do not know how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw a sketch of the system? At least for me, it is hard to imagine how the things are oriented and how the angle θ is defined.
Do we have gravity?

mfb said:
Can you draw a sketch of the system? At least for me, it is hard to imagine how the things are oriented and how the angle θ is defined.
Do we have gravity?

Yes, of course. I'll upload a picture. I'm sorry for confusing you.

Problem 3/53. http://i.imgur.com/N0Y7GCy.jpg

Source: Engineering Mechanics, Meriam Kraige

Last edited:
Thanks.
It follows that r''=0 since r' is constant.
This does not follow, r' is 1.2m/s at that specific point only.

If nothing is said about friction, you can neglect it.

Since it doesn't move in the e_(θ)-direction
It does move in that direction, as it has to stay in the tube.

mfb said:
Thanks.

If nothing is said about friction, you can neglect it.

It does move in that direction, as it has to stay in the tube.

Alright, some serious errors there. I will have to check it out thoroughly and get back.

mfb said:
Thanks.

If nothing is said about friction, you can neglect it.It does move in that direction, as it has to stay in the tube.

Alright, I see your point. I've tried this:

In the e_(θ) direction: N-mgcosθ=ma_(θ)=m(rθ''+2r'θ') where N is the normal force.

N = mgcosθ+m(rθ''+2r'θ')=m(gcosθ+(rθ''+2r'θ')).

We do not know what r is but we know that θ'=3rad/s. Does that imply that θ''=0? In that case we can proceed independent of r.

N=m(gcosθ+2r'θ')

θ''=0 because it was written : (with a constant counterclockwise angular velocity θ'=3rad/s ) that's why ... i think :)

Hello. I have this same problem and was able to find it here. I actually got everywhere up to the point of

N = m(2r'theta' +gcos(theta)) but am getting a wrong answer. I assumed this was the final answer. Since there is no normal force in the er direction or Ez direction, why isn't this it?

Note that the r' is negative yielding negative acceleraion

The previous post was from 2014, I think it is best to let the thread rest.

What is a rotating hollow tube?

A rotating hollow tube is a cylindrical structure with a hollow center, which is able to rotate around its central axis.

What is a particle?

A particle is a small object that has mass and occupies space. In the context of a rotating hollow tube, a particle refers to any small object or substance that is moving inside the hollow tube.

What causes a particle to move inside a rotating hollow tube?

A particle can move inside a rotating hollow tube due to the centrifugal force exerted by the rotating tube on the particle. This force causes the particle to move towards the outer edge of the tube.

What is the direction of the particle's movement inside a rotating hollow tube?

The direction of the particle's movement inside a rotating hollow tube is dependent on the direction of the centrifugal force. This force will cause the particle to move in a circular motion towards the outer edge of the tube.

How does the speed of the rotating hollow tube affect the particle's movement?

The speed of the rotating hollow tube has a direct impact on the speed of the particle's movement. A faster rotating tube will result in a higher centrifugal force and therefore a faster movement of the particle towards the outer edge of the tube.