1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle on a ring

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    Consider a mass m confined to a ring of radius r. The potential everywhere on the ring is zero. In the ml = +3 state, identify the points on the ring where the probability of the particle existing is zero.

I was thinking that every point would be zero, because it's a wave, not a particle. It cannot exist at any one point, basically. Am I thinking about this wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2
    I am guessing you are supposed to think about what standing wave function(s) would be allowed, given a ring of certain size and a particle of certain momentum. In all cases a standing wave will have nodes, and the probability of the particle being at a node is zero. If I remember correctly, you get the probability function by squaring the wave function and normalizing.

You are right, sort of, about a wave not really existing at any given point, but that is a macroscopic analogy and doesn't quite translate to the quantum world. In quantum, wave functions for particles do have places where they are "more likely to exist."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?