Particles vs Waves: Properties Differences

In summary, the major difference between the properties of waves and particles is that particles are physical components of substances, while waves are patterns of movement in these substances. These two entities cannot be directly compared as they serve different purposes. However, electromagnetic waves can be compared to particle waves.
ldv1452
What are the major differences between the properties of waves and those of particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think are the major differences?

ldv1452 said:
What are the major differences between the properties of waves and those of particles?

Is that a school test problem?

JDługosz said:
Is that a school test problem?

No.
I'm just looking to see if anyone can provide a clearer answer than the mess of information on wikipedia.

OK, maybe you can start by listing some "properties" of waves. Understand what a wave nature is.

ldv1452 said:
No.
I'm just looking to see if anyone can provide a clearer answer than the mess of information on wikipedia.

Wikkers isn't the sole source of information, you know. There are hundreds of web pages that discuss this. I suggest you 'compare and contrast' a few of them.

And, there is no paradoxical relationship between waves and photons if you avoid the dreaded (and pointless) question "yeah but what is it REALLY?". Because it isn't anything "really" it's just what we happen to observe.

ldv1452 said:

If your question was intending some straight answers then ,

-particles are the components of physically existing substance like air , water , solids etc that can be felt or touched.
-wave is the pattern in which the particles move. eg ripple wave in water, sound wave in air.

You can define them but they aren't comparable entities. It would be like differentiating between light and sun.

We could rather compare particle waves with electromagnetic waves.
I understand till the particle wave but electromagnetic wave has been brainstorming me for a long time as well.

I guess you are also intending to get answer to this question though you have presented it the other way.

1. What is the difference between particles and waves?

Particles and waves are two different ways in which energy can be transferred. Particles are small, localized packets of energy, while waves are continuous disturbances that travel through a medium.

2. How do particles and waves behave differently?

Particles have a definite mass and can be affected by external forces, such as gravity and friction. Waves, on the other hand, do not have mass and can travel through a medium without being affected by external forces.

3. Can particles exhibit wave-like behavior?

Yes, particles can exhibit wave-like behavior under certain conditions. This phenomenon is known as wave-particle duality and is often observed in subatomic particles.

4. What are some examples of particles and waves?

Examples of particles include electrons, protons, and neutrons. Examples of waves include sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

5. How do particles and waves interact with matter?

Particles can collide with matter and transfer energy, while waves can be absorbed, scattered, or reflected by matter.