1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partition sets

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I was given a problem where I was to find two disjoint partitions, [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex] and a set A such that |A| = 4 and [tex]|S_1| = 3[/tex] and [tex]|S_2| = 3[/tex].

Now the set I was using and the book eventually used was A = {1,2,3,4} and [tex]S_1 = [/tex]{{1},{2},{3,4}} and [tex]S_2 = [/tex]{{1,2},{3},{4}}.

The question I have is probably a few definition questions that the book just doesn't seem to be clear about. Do the S's have to be a collection of sets and not simply a set of numbers? For example, is [tex]S_1 =[/tex] {1,2,3} not a correct partition?

Also, the text asks for "disjoint" partitions, which I assume means [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex] don't share any elements. However, isn't this part of the definition of a partition? That is, any two sets don't share any elements?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    A partition of a set A is a collection that simply separates every element of the set A into disjoint non-empty subsets. Every element of the set A must appear once and only once in one of the subsets of the partition. [tex]S_1[/tex] = {{1,2,3}} is not a partition of the set A since 4 does not appear is any of the subsets. However, [tex]S_1[/tex] = {{1,2,3}, {4}} would be a partition, however its cardinality would be 2.

It is true that a partition is always a collection of disjoint subsets, however it is possible to have two partitions that are not disjoint, but distinct. For example [tex]S_1[/tex]={{1,2}, {3}, {4}} and [tex]S_2[/tex]={{1,3}, {2}, {4}} would be two distinct partitions of A, both with cardinality 3, however they are not disjoint because they share the element (of a partition which is a subset) {4}.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  4. Feb 5, 2010 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok, I think my text is a bit confusing as it made it seem like S1 and S2 were required to make the set A.

For example, would S = {{1,2,3,4}} be a partition of A? And would S={1,2,3,4} be a partition of A?

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook