1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pascals - Atmoshperes

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    Pascals - Atmospheres

I have a various numbers of psi's....and was told it would be interesting to convert it to pascals, and then compare the pascals and our atmosphere.

As in, 200 psi is 1.38e10^6 Pa. How could i show how much force that is. Or even say, its 'x' number of atmospheres. Just so i can get the pressure into perspective for readers...

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pressure is just force / area, hence PSI is pounds / square inch, Pascal is 1N/m^2
    An atmosphere is roughly 15psi or 100KPa.
    To convert PSI to Pa you just need to know how many pounds in a newton and how many sq inches in a square metre.

4. Oct 5, 2007 #3
    Ahhh yes. Must have missed these figures!

14.7psi = 1 atmosphere = 101,325 Pa

And its 6.894 757 kPa to 1 psi.

So if i were to write a sentance would something like this be correct?

"The pressure at combustion is 200psi. To show how high this pressure is, i converted it to Pascals, which is 1.38e10^6 Pa, and then converted Pa to atmospheres which is 13.6. This means that the pressure in the engine is over 13 times as strong as our atmosphere."

By the way, i know i dont have to convert to Pa, then to atm, but as i would show working, it would tick a box.

I am a bit wary of my last sentance, comparing the two. It doesn't sound good to me...i was trying to think of a better way to describe it really.

Thank you very much for all your help!

5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pressure is 13 times greater than the atmosphere.

6. Oct 6, 2007 #5
    thanks for the help! much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook