Convert PSI to Pascals & Compare to Atmospheres

• Thread starter Big Drop
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses converting pressure measurements from PSI to Pascals and comparing them to atmospheric pressure. The conversion rate is provided and the speaker mentions wanting to include it in their work. The final conclusion is that the pressure in the engine is over 13 times stronger than our atmosphere.
Big Drop
Pascals - Atmospheres

I have a various numbers of psi's...and was told it would be interesting to convert it to pascals, and then compare the pascals and our atmosphere.

As in, 200 psi is 1.38e10^6 Pa. How could i show how much force that is. Or even say, its 'x' number of atmospheres. Just so i can get the pressure into perspective for readers...Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure is just force / area, hence PSI is pounds / square inch, Pascal is 1N/m^2
An atmosphere is roughly 15psi or 100KPa.
To convert PSI to Pa you just need to know how many pounds in a Newton and how many sq inches in a square metre.

Ahhh yes. Must have missed these figures!

14.7psi = 1 atmosphere = 101,325 Pa

And its 6.894 757 kPa to 1 psi.

So if i were to write a sentance would something like this be correct?

"The pressure at combustion is 200psi. To show how high this pressure is, i converted it to Pascals, which is 1.38e10^6 Pa, and then converted Pa to atmospheres which is 13.6. This means that the pressure in the engine is over 13 times as strong as our atmosphere."

By the way, i know i don't have to convert to Pa, then to atm, but as i would show working, it would tick a box.

I am a bit wary of my last sentance, comparing the two. It doesn't sound good to me...i was trying to think of a better way to describe it really.Thank you very much for all your help!

Pressure is 13 times greater than the atmosphere.

thanks for the help! much appreciated.

Related to Convert PSI to Pascals & Compare to Atmospheres

What is the conversion factor for PSI to Pascals?

The conversion factor from PSI (pounds per square inch) to Pascals is 6894.76. This means that 1 PSI is equal to 6894.76 Pascals.

How do I convert PSI to Pascals?

To convert PSI to Pascals, simply multiply the value in PSI by 6894.76. For example, if you have 10 PSI, the conversion would be 10 x 6894.76 = 68,947.6 Pascals.

What is the difference between PSI and Pascals?

PSI is a unit of pressure commonly used in the United States, while Pascals is the SI unit of pressure used in most other countries. Pascals are also a smaller unit of pressure, with 1 PSI equal to 6894.76 Pascals.

How does the pressure in Pascals compare to pressure in Atmospheres?

1 Atmosphere is equal to 101,325 Pascals. This means that Pascals are a smaller unit of pressure than Atmospheres, with 1 Atmosphere equal to approximately 14.7 PSI.

Why is it important to be able to convert between PSI and Pascals?

It is important to be able to convert between units of pressure to communicate and understand measurements accurately. Depending on where you are in the world and what industry you are in, different units of pressure may be used, so it is important to be able to convert between them.