Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pascals - Atmoshperes

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    Pascals - Atmospheres

I have a various numbers of psi's....and was told it would be interesting to convert it to pascals, and then compare the pascals and our atmosphere.

As in, 200 psi is 1.38e10^6 Pa. How could i show how much force that is. Or even say, its 'x' number of atmospheres. Just so i can get the pressure into perspective for readers...

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pressure is just force / area, hence PSI is pounds / square inch, Pascal is 1N/m^2
    An atmosphere is roughly 15psi or 100KPa.
    To convert PSI to Pa you just need to know how many pounds in a newton and how many sq inches in a square metre.

4. Oct 5, 2007 #3
    Ahhh yes. Must have missed these figures!

14.7psi = 1 atmosphere = 101,325 Pa

And its 6.894 757 kPa to 1 psi.

So if i were to write a sentance would something like this be correct?

"The pressure at combustion is 200psi. To show how high this pressure is, i converted it to Pascals, which is 1.38e10^6 Pa, and then converted Pa to atmospheres which is 13.6. This means that the pressure in the engine is over 13 times as strong as our atmosphere."

By the way, i know i dont have to convert to Pa, then to atm, but as i would show working, it would tick a box.

I am a bit wary of my last sentance, comparing the two. It doesn't sound good to me...i was trying to think of a better way to describe it really.

Thank you very much for all your help!

5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pressure is 13 times greater than the atmosphere.

6. Oct 6, 2007 #5
    thanks for the help! much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?