Pascals - Atmoshperes

• Thread starter Big Drop
  • Start date
Pascals - Atmospheres

I have a various numbers of psi's....and was told it would be interesting to convert it to pascals, and then compare the pascals and our atmosphere.

As in, 200 psi is 1.38e10^6 Pa. How could i show how much force that is. Or even say, its 'x' number of atmospheres. Just so i can get the pressure into perspective for readers...

Thanks

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Pressure is just force / area, hence PSI is pounds / square inch, Pascal is 1N/m^2
An atmosphere is roughly 15psi or 100KPa.
To convert PSI to Pa you just need to know how many pounds in a newton and how many sq inches in a square metre.

Ahhh yes. Must have missed these figures!

14.7psi = 1 atmosphere = 101,325 Pa

And its 6.894 757 kPa to 1 psi.

So if i were to write a sentance would something like this be correct?

"The pressure at combustion is 200psi. To show how high this pressure is, i converted it to Pascals, which is 1.38e10^6 Pa, and then converted Pa to atmospheres which is 13.6. This means that the pressure in the engine is over 13 times as strong as our atmosphere."

By the way, i know i dont have to convert to Pa, then to atm, but as i would show working, it would tick a box.

I am a bit wary of my last sentance, comparing the two. It doesn't sound good to me...i was trying to think of a better way to describe it really.

Thank you very much for all your help!

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Pressure is 13 times greater than the atmosphere.

thanks for the help! much appreciated.