Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Passion for aviation, where to start? A high school student

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm a high school 10th grader from Thailand studying at a rigorous private boarding school in the US. I have a passion for aviation and aeroplanes, and my dream is to be an aerospace engineer. The problem is though, I do not know where to start.

Seeing my friends at school following their passions, whether it being computer engineering, game development, investment, etc. They all seem to have a place to start gaining experience in whatever they are interested in, IE a friend of mine who enjoys coding found a XSS loophole in Microsoft website and was listed on the hall of fame...

With the examples of my friend, I feel kind of left out. I really do not know where to start building my experience in this field. All I could do is to read and study planes specifications (which I actually do enjoy), which I figured it does not really help me that much. While I enjoy mathematics and physics (taking AP Calculus), I still feel like I could do better in trying to find something that will help me in this career path later on.

So the question is: What can I do right now in high school to help myself achieve the dream of being an aerospace engineer?

Thank you guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2
    One thing that will probably help you is some hands on experience. I remember something in my high school called "Science Olympiad" that had some competition involving a glider. I also remember it being kinda lame... Why not take a look at a local community college? See if they have a club called "Design Build and Fly" - I assure you that you will be immersed in aviation quickly!

One more thing:
    If I had the confidence and encouragement to match my passion and ambition back when I was in highschool, I would have gotten a great deal more out of college. Not to say that it wasn't fulfilling, it very much was. Take chances and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook