Is Time Defined Differently for Each Observer?

• Thread starter paulselhi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary: In physics, we try to stick to what can be observed and measured, and there's no way to observe or measure anything outside of spacetime. You might as well ask what's south of the South Pole.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fixed moments in time and how they can differ for different observers based on relative motion in space. It also explores the idea of eternalism and whether past, present, and future all exist simultaneously. There is no universal reference or definitive boundary for these concepts, as they are all relative to an observer's perspective within spacetime. The conversation also questions the idea of a separate "real" time outside of spacetime, which has no evidence in physics.
paulselhi
I have read some books by brain Greene in whch he discusses the concept of fixed moments in time, never changing, He goes on to discuss how time slices will be different depending on observers relative motions in space and that the past present and future definitions of events will differ from observer to observer

My question is if we cannot agree on what is the present, diffferent observers will slice space time differently, then what will be my future may be someone elses past. If so, and i think this may be eternalism, is it correct to say that he past present and future all exsist at once.

If PPF all exsist right "now" then is there a definitive boundary some where/when that defines present and future for some universal reference

If not and eternalism is correct, all past present and future events are in existence then was the universes PP and future created in an instance ?

Physics news on Phys.org
paulselhi said:
I have read some books by brain Greene in whch he discusses the concept of fixed moments in time, never changing, He goes on to discuss how time slices will be different depending on observers relative motions in space and that the past present and future definitions of events will differ from observer to observer
He's describing the spacetime of special relativity. A good way to visualize it is to draw two perpendicular coordinate axes on a piece of paper, one in the up direction, labeled "t (years)", and one in the right direction, labeled "x (light-years)". (We're ignoring all but one spatial dimension, because we can't draw more than two perpendicular lines on a piece of paper). A horizontal line is a set of events that you consider simultaneous (if this diagram represents your point of view). A line with a different slope is a set of events that someone else considers simultaneous (if the angle it makes with the x-axis is less than 45 degrees).

paulselhi said:
My question is if we cannot agree on what is the present, diffferent observers will slice space time differently, then what will be my future may be someone elses past. If so, and i think this may be eternalism, is it correct to say that he past present and future all exsist at once.

If PPF all exsist right "now" then is there a definitive boundary some where/when that defines present and future for some universal reference
I'm not sure what you mean by "universal reference". There's no preferred coordinate system or "point of view" if that's what you mean. I don't know what boundary you're talking about. Any horizontal line is a boundary between your past and future.

Phrases like "at once" and "right now" are references to a simultaneity line, so your question is a bit like asking if the entire piece of paper exists at one of the lines you drew.

What you should be thinking here is that the paper is what the theory uses to represent the real-world concepts of space and time. You can say that the paper (yes, the actual paper) exists "at once" if you want. :smile:

paulselhi said:
If not and eternalism is correct, all past present and future events are in existence then was the universes PP and future created in an instance ?
This question assumes that there's some kind of "real" time that has nothing to do with spacetime (or Bill Maher), and there's no evidence of that.

What is the concept of past, present, and future?

The concept of past, present, and future refers to the linear progression of time. Past refers to events that have already occurred, present refers to events that are currently happening, and future refers to events that are yet to happen.

How does the past influence the present and future?

The past can influence the present and future through its impact on our memories, experiences, and actions. Our past experiences shape our present decisions and behaviors, which in turn can affect our future outcomes.

Can the past be changed?

No, the past cannot be changed. Once an event has occurred, it becomes a part of history and cannot be altered. However, our perceptions and understanding of the past can change over time.

How does the concept of time vary in different cultures?

The concept of time can vary in different cultures, with some cultures placing a greater emphasis on the past, present, or future. Additionally, the way time is perceived and measured can also differ among cultures.

What role does the future play in scientific research?

The future plays a crucial role in scientific research as it allows scientists to make predictions and develop theories about what may happen based on current knowledge and evidence. Scientific research also aims to find solutions and advancements that can benefit the future of humanity.