1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path integral applied to circular path

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider path given by equation [itex] ( x - 1 )^2 + ( y - 1 ) ^2 = 1 [/itex] that connect the points
    A = ( 0 , 1 ) and B = ( 1 , 0 ) in xy plane ( shown in image attached ).
    A bead falling under influence of gravity from a point A to point B along a curve is given by -

[tex] T = \int \frac{dt}{v}[/tex]

where the bead's velocity is [itex] v = \sqrt{2gy}[/itex] , where g is the gravitational constant.

2. Relevant equations

[itex] ( x - 1 )^2 + ( y - 1 ) ^2 = 1 [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Given curve [itex] ( x - 1 )^2 + ( y - 1 ) ^2 = 1 [/itex] can be parametrized as -

[itex] x - 1 = \cos\Theta [/itex]
    [itex] y - 1 = \sin\Theta [/itex]

curve can be written as

[itex] c( \Theta) = ( 1 + \cos\Theta , 1 + \sin\Theta )[/itex]
    [itex] c'( \Theta) = ( - \sin\Theta , \cos\Theta ) [/itex]
    [itex] \left| c'( \Theta) \right| = 1 [/itex]

From given relation we have -

[tex]T = \int \frac{dt}{v}[/tex]

[tex]T = \int_{c} \frac{ \left| c'( \Theta) \right| d\Theta}{ \sqrt{2gy}} [/tex]

[tex]T = \int_{\pi}^{ \frac{3\pi}{2}} \frac{d\Theta}{ \sqrt{2g( 1 + \sin\Theta)}} [/tex]

[tex] As, 1 + \sin\Theta = \left( \cos\frac{\Theta}{2} + \sin\frac{\Theta}{2} \right) ^2 [/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{2g}} \int_{\pi}^{\frac{3\pi}{2}} \frac{d\Theta}{ \cos\frac{\Theta}{2} + \sin\frac{\Theta}{2}} [/tex]

Changing variables ,

[tex] \frac{\theta}{2} = x , d\Theta = 2 dx [/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{2g}} \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{4}} \frac{ 2 dx }{ \cos x + \sin x } [/tex]

[tex] As, \sin\frac{\pi}{4} = \cos\frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex]

multiplying Nr and Dr by [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{4}} \frac{dx}{ \sin\frac{\pi}{4}\cos x + \cos\frac{\pi}{4} \sin x }[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \int_{ \frac{\pi}{2} } ^ {\frac{3\pi}{4}} \frac{dx} { \sin\left( x + \frac{\pi}{4} \right) } [/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{4}} \csc \left( x + \frac{\pi}{4} \right) dx[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \left| \ln \left[ \tan \left( \frac{ x + \frac{\pi}{4} } {2} } \right) \right] \right |_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{4}} [/tex]

The value of first term after limit substitution is infinity. Here the value of integral i.e. ' time ' should be strictly finite. What is wrong with my solution?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

"A bead is given by T=..." doesn't really make sense.

The problem is the integral you started with is wrong. You want a time, but if you check the units of the integral, you get time/(distance/time) = time2/distance.

4. May 30, 2010 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does t have to do with the curve?

5. May 30, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi symmetric! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Nooo … your own notation is bad, and you've misunderstood the question's notation. :redface:

i] never use t for a distance parameter, use s (or x etc)

ii] you don't need to use the usual θ (starting with θ = 0 along the positive x-axis) … you can choose any distance parameter, so you may as well start with θ = 0 at A, going to θ = π/2 at B

iii] the y in the given formula, √2gy, is not the y-coordinate, it's the difference in height (so at A it's 0).

Try again. :smile:

6. May 30, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Welcome to PF!

D'oh! I just assumed t stood for time. Just ignore my earlier post. :blushing:

7. May 31, 2010 #6
    @vela @Hurkyl @tiny-tim

Thanks for your reply.

To clear confusion of variable 't' attaching original problem snapshot.

From my understanding of given question it's distance travelled along circular path ( specifically for above problem ) .

i] i generally don't use 't' for distance but given problem follows that notation .

ii] and iii] But we have to calculate transit time T for bead travelling along path given ( part of circle ). The given formula [itex] \sqrt{2gy}[/itex] is valid for any path ( circular, straight line etc ) with same start and end point. Hence, given curve must be parametrized in order to get transit time T along specific path. If we chose the parametrization mentioned by me, then [itex] \Theta = 0 [/itex] and [itex]\Theta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] will not leads to co-ordinates A(0,1) and B(1,0).

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook