Pathria: Specific Heat in a gravitational field

In summary, the partition function for a classical ideal gas in a gravitational field can be evaluated using the Boltzmann distribution and is given by (1 - exp(-nBmgL))/ (1 - exp(-BmgL)). The specific heat in this case is larger than the free space value due to the variation in potential energy with height.
howin

Homework Statement

Pathria 6.8: Evaluate the partition function of a classical ideal gas consisting of N molecules of mass m confined to a cylinder of vertical height L, which is in a state of thermal equilibrium at constant T in a uniform gravitational field of acceleration g. Calculate the specific heat and explain why it is larger than the free space value. (The last part is my problem).

Homework Equations

PV=nrT
partition function Z = sum (e^(-BE))

The Attempt at a Solution

I made it pretty far fr the first part, although I think I made a mistake somewhere. I'm really looking for help on why the specific heat is larger than the free space value. I am wondering if it has to do with pressure due to gravity.

I used the barometric Boltzmann distribution, taking an arbitrary cross-sectional area A.

So a cross-section of the column has a volume Adh and mass m=ro(h) Adh

So the cross-section exerts a force mg ro(h) n the gass below it

So the excess pressure at height h over the pressure at h+dh is: P(h) -P(h+dh) = -dp = mg ro(h) dh

pV=nRT
ro = N/V
n=N/N(0)
so P=ro k t
dro(h)/dh = -(mg/kt) ro(h)
ro(h)= ro(h(0)) exp[(-mg(h-h0)/kT]

epsilon=mgh
sum(n eps) = E
sum (n) = N

general partition function is: Q=sum [exp(-BE)]

E=sum(n(sub h) mgh)
assume h(0)=0

Z=sum [exp(-B n(sub h) mgh)] = exp(-BmgNL^2/2) --> is this right??

to get the specific heat:

U = N partial ln Q / partial B = N exp (-BmgNL^2/2) (-mgNL^2/2)
= -(mgN^2L^2/2) exp(-BmgNL^2/2)

Cv = dU/dT = (-mgN^2L^2/2T)^2 (1/k) exp(-BmgNL^2/2) --> somehow I think this is wrong, it looks like it has the wrong units

now how do I explain why the specific heat with the gravitational field (this answer) is larger than the free space value?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made some good progress on evaluating the partition function for a classical ideal gas in a gravitational field. However, I believe there are a few mistakes in your calculations that may have led to your confusion about the specific heat being larger than the free space value.

First, in your expression for the excess pressure at height h, you have used the barometric Boltzmann distribution, which is only valid in the case of a constant gravitational field. In this problem, the gravitational field is not constant, as it varies with height. Therefore, you cannot use this distribution and instead you should use the more general Boltzmann distribution:

P(h) = P(0) exp(-mgh/kT)

where P(0) is the pressure at the bottom of the cylinder.

Next, in your expression for the partition function, you have assumed that the height of the cylinder is L. However, the problem statement mentions a "vertical height L," which implies that the cylinder may have a different length in the horizontal direction. Therefore, the partition function should be:

Z = sum[exp(-nBmgh)]

where n is the number of molecules in the cylinder and B is the Boltzmann factor (1/kT).

With these corrections, the partition function can be evaluated to be:

Z = (1 - exp(-nBmgL))/ (1 - exp(-BmgL))

The specific heat can then be calculated as:

Cv = (kT)^2 (d^2 ln Z/ dT^2)

= (kT)^2 (d/dT) [(nBmgL)/(1 - exp(-BmgL))]

= (kT)^2 [(nBmgL)^2 exp(-BmgL)]/[(1 - exp(-BmgL))^2]

This expression for the specific heat is indeed larger than the free space value, which can be obtained by taking the limit as L goes to infinity. This is because in the presence of a gravitational field, the potential energy of the molecules is not constant, but varies with height. Therefore, the average energy of the molecules will also vary with height, leading to a larger specific heat compared to the case of free space, where the potential energy is constant.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why the specific heat is larger in the presence of a gravitational field. Keep up the good work on your calculations

1. What is the significance of Pathria's equation for specific heat in a gravitational field?

Pathria's equation provides a way to calculate the specific heat of a substance in a gravitational field, taking into account the effects of gravity on the particles within the substance. This is important in understanding the behavior of materials in environments where gravity is a factor, such as planetary atmospheres.

2. How is Pathria's equation derived?

Pathria's equation is derived from the basic principles of thermodynamics, including the first and second laws of thermodynamics. It also takes into account the effects of gravity on the energy levels of particles, as described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. Can Pathria's equation be applied to all substances?

Pathria's equation is applicable to all substances, as long as they can be described by a continuous distribution of energy levels. This includes most gases, liquids, and solids, as well as plasmas. However, it may not be accurate for substances with highly complex energy level structures.

4. How does gravity affect the specific heat of a substance?

In a gravitational field, the energy levels of particles are slightly shifted due to the effects of gravity. This results in a change in the specific heat of the substance, as particles require more or less energy to reach the next energy level. Pathria's equation takes this into account and allows for the calculation of the specific heat in a gravitational field.

5. What practical applications does Pathria's equation have?

Pathria's equation has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, where it can be used to understand the behavior of substances in extreme gravitational environments. It can also be applied in engineering and materials science, to study the effects of gravity on the thermal properties of materials in various applications.