Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paul Martin Believes!

1. Jun 29, 2004 #1
    Paul Martin believes a minority Government will work. This is going to be interesting since Layton promised that he will make sure the NDP beliefs will be included.

It'll be very interesting until the next election:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do the Libs and the NDP now have enough seats to govern? Earlier today it looked like they were still a few seats shy.
  4. Jun 29, 2004 #3
  5. Jun 29, 2004 #4
    I'm surprised with the Bloc's showing this time around. But I am glad Harper and the Conservatives got way less that they hoped for.
  6. Jun 29, 2004 #5
    The Liberals have 135 seats in the house, and the NDP have 22. So as long as the NDP lend their support, they should be able to pass what bills they want.

Agreed, I'm thrilled that Harper didn't get in, but I'm surprised they got as few votes as they did.
  7. Jun 30, 2004 #6
    Harper scared quite a few people, with his whole theory of dumping large sums of money into the military. It also seemed that he wanted to run Canada, almost the same way Bush is running America. At least, during the debate.

From the Conservative Party of Canada and the National Post website:

That's funny. That "end" bilingualism part was bound to piss off Quebec. The Bloc Quebecois site doesn't even have an English version.
  8. Jun 30, 2004 #7
    Actually the NPD have 19 seats so that's not enough for the Liberal's to do what they want if they formed a coalition. Anyway, though I am a Liberal supporter, I’m rather pleased that it’s a minority government.

As for the Bloc’s showing I think it’s tied for the most seats it’s ever had. I didn’t really expect that either. (sigh)
    Did anyone catch the CBC coverage rather early on when the Marxist-Leninist party was leading in a riding in Toronto (I think) for a short while? Mansbridge trying to reassure the viewers that only 1% of the results have been counted. Hilarious!
  9. Jun 30, 2004 #8
    True, my bad, I saw the final counts a little while ago.

I know my riding started off to an early communist lead, didnt last long though. Hehe.
  10. Jun 30, 2004 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So then the Liberals and NDP can't guarantee a vote on contentious issues and they'll have to deal. Sounds like the US Senate.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?