Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PC card or USB tuner

1. Aug 8, 2005 #1
    I am considering getting a tv tuner for my acer laptop. I have heard of some lag issues with the usb tuners. I have 64mb of shared video memory (and usb2 ofcourse) but i don't want to buy a usb tuner then there are lag issues. I noticed that the usb ones are cheaper than pc cards and they provide much more features such as am/fm as well as video and sound inputs/outputs.

What would you guys recommend that I get?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus

I think USB2 will be good enough. I haven't personally tried it, but with a tranfer rate of 480Mbits I think you'll be fine. PCMCIA should be fine too.

The main issue I see is the actual tv turner software. The reason I say this is because I have a hauppauge PCI card and the company's software blows on windows. Linux on the other hand has a nice program called tvtime which works wonders. All the USB2/PCMCIA tv tuners your going to find are going to have about the same quality but it is the software you use the card with that makes the difference.

I don't have any particular model of recommendation, but in your research I would concentrate on the software the tvtuner comes with.
  4. Aug 8, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

Lag could only be an issue if you are playing video games - other than that, I think a usb adapter should be fine.

One thing I have experienced with PCI cards is that the electric/magnetic fields inside the pc make for worse reception than with external adapters. I didn't believe this when others told me until I tried it myself. The same problem could (but I don't know for sure) exist with pc card tuners.
  5. Aug 9, 2005 #4
    thanx for the info guys. I think that I will go for the external usb tuner because I get more features for the same price (or a cheaper price).
  6. Aug 16, 2005 #5
    ATI has a nice one, I have read good reviews of that. look into that, its like $100.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?