Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PCB Design (Newbie)

1. Jun 18, 2007 #1
    Hi there! I am thinking about learning to design PCB boards but I only know a little about PCB boards to begin with. So can any of you guys give me some resources that could help me in learning more about PCB design (i.e. using CAD tools). I think that before going about designing the schematic for a PCB, I would first like to learn more about how to read a PCB schematic which should give me a nice start.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're asking for about two year's worth of experience to be boiled down into a post on a forum -- it ain't gonna happen.

The most common PCB design tools in industry are probably OrCAD, Protel, and Pads. Perhaps you should start by looking up any online tutorials for these tools. If you have any specific questions, ask those later.

- Warren

4. Jun 19, 2007 #3
    Actually I wasn't trying to ask you to teach me how to design a PCB. I was just trying asking you to point me to the right direction so that I get at least get started.

Those tutorials are great but they would only help me if I know the basics of PCB design to begin with. But I don't really know the basics! Is there any tutorials online that you know of which would show me some basic PCB schematics and introduce me to the different aspects of the layout.

5. Jun 19, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Again, what you're asking for is several years of experience boiled down into a forum post.

If you have some specific questions, please ask those instead.

- Warren

6. Jun 19, 2007 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do the tutorials at the bottom of this wikipedia page help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCB_layout_guidelines

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?