1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE-Cayley Transform Of An Operator

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that a unitary operator [itex]U[/itex] acting on a Hilbert space [itex]H[/itex] is the Cayley transform of some self-adjoint operator if and only if [itex]1[/itex] is not an eigenvalue of [itex]U[/itex].

Hope someone will be able to help

Thanks !

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    At the first direction, I have tried assuming that 1 is an eigenvalue for the eigenfunction [itex]f[/itex]. This implies [itex]Uf=f[/itex] ,where [itex]U=(L-i)(L+i)^{-1}[/itex] for some [itex]L[/itex].
    But since [itex]U^* U=1[/itex] we get that also [itex]U^* f =f [/itex] , and thus:
    [itex]<Uf,f>=<Uf,U(U^*f)>=<f,Uf>[/itex], which implies [itex]U[/itex] is symmetric, and in particular [itex]U=U^*[/itex] and [itex]U^2=1[/itex]. I can't figure out how to get some contradiction out of this. Maybe we know that [itex]U[/itex] must be one-to-one or something?

As for the other direction, I need some detailed guidance.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted