PDE-Cayley Transform Of An Operator

In summary: U. In summary, a unitary operator U on a Hilbert space H is the Cayley transform of a self-adjoint operator if and only if 1 is not an eigenvalue of U.
Combinatorics

Homework Statement

Prove that a unitary operator [itex]U[/itex] acting on a Hilbert space [itex]H[/itex] is the Cayley transform of some self-adjoint operator if and only if [itex]1[/itex] is not an eigenvalue of [itex]U[/itex].

Hope someone will be able to help

Thanks !

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At the first direction, I have tried assuming that 1 is an eigenvalue for the eigenfunction [itex]f[/itex]. This implies [itex]Uf=f[/itex] ,where [itex]U=(L-i)(L+i)^{-1}[/itex] for some [itex]L[/itex].
But since [itex]U^* U=1[/itex] we get that also [itex]U^* f =f [/itex] , and thus:
[itex]<Uf,f>=<Uf,U(U^*f)>=<f,Uf>[/itex], which implies [itex]U[/itex] is symmetric, and in particular [itex]U=U^*[/itex] and [itex]U^2=1[/itex]. I can't figure out how to get some contradiction out of this. Maybe we know that [itex]U[/itex] must be one-to-one or something?

As for the other direction, I need some detailed guidance.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for any help and insights.

To prove that a unitary operator U acting on a Hilbert space H is the Cayley transform of some self-adjoint operator, we need to show that U=(L-i)(L+i)^{-1} for some self-adjoint operator L.

First, assume that 1 is not an eigenvalue of U. This means that Uf=f for some eigenfunction f, but f cannot be the zero vector since U is one-to-one. Thus, we can define a new operator L on H such that Lf=i(f-1).

To show that L is self-adjoint, we need to show that <Lf,g>=<f,Lg> for all f,g in H.

<Lf,g>=<i(f-1),g>=i<f-1,g>=i<f,g>-i<g,1>=<f,i(g-1)>=<f,Lg>

Thus, L is self-adjoint.

Now, we need to show that U=(L-i)(L+i)^{-1}. Since Uf=f, we have:

(L-i)(L+i)^{-1}f=(L-i)f=(i(f-1)-i)f=i(f-1)=Uf

Thus, U=(L-i)(L+i)^{-1} and we have proven one direction of the statement.

For the other direction, assume that U=(L-i)(L+i)^{-1} for some self-adjoint operator L.

If 1 is an eigenvalue of U, then there exists an eigenfunction f such that Uf=f. This implies (L-i)(L+i)^{-1}f=f, which can be rewritten as (L-i)f=(L+i)f.

Since L is self-adjoint, we have:

<Lf,f>=<f,Lf>=<f,L^*f>=<f,Lf>

This means that Lf is an eigenvector of L with eigenvalue 1. But since L is self-adjoint, it can only have real eigenvalues. This contradicts the fact that 1 is an eigenvalue of L.

Thus, 1 cannot be an eigenvalue of U and we have proven the other direction of the statement.

Therefore, a unitary operator U acting on a Hilbert space H is the Cayley transform of some self-adjoint operator

1. What is the PDE-Cayley transform of an operator?

The PDE-Cayley transform of an operator is a mathematical operation that transforms a linear partial differential equation (PDE) into an ordinary differential equation (ODE) in order to simplify its solution. It is based on the Cayley transform, which is a well-known technique in complex analysis.

2. How does the PDE-Cayley transform work?

The PDE-Cayley transform works by introducing a new variable and applying a transformation to the PDE in order to convert it into an ODE. This transformation is chosen in such a way that the resulting ODE is easier to solve than the original PDE.

3. What are the benefits of using the PDE-Cayley transform?

The PDE-Cayley transform can be useful for solving PDEs that are difficult to solve using traditional methods. It can also provide insights into the behavior of the PDE and its solutions. Additionally, it can be used to obtain approximate solutions to PDEs.

4. Are there any limitations to the PDE-Cayley transform?

The PDE-Cayley transform is not applicable to all types of PDEs. It is most effective for linear PDEs with constant coefficients. It may also introduce new complexities and difficulties in solving the transformed ODE, depending on the chosen transformation.

5. Can the PDE-Cayley transform be applied to systems of PDEs?

Yes, the PDE-Cayley transform can be extended to systems of PDEs, where it transforms the system into a system of ODEs. This can be particularly useful in situations where solving the original system of PDEs is challenging.