1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE problem, Solve using Method of Characteristics

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1
    Hi

This problem occurred on my final and I could not figure it out.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem was a partial differential equation (I forgot the exact equation) but the solution was a hyperbolic function in the form of u(x,y)= f(x+y) + g (x+y), it was part b that gave me the problem.

Part b asked to solve the initial value problem give u(0,y)=y and u_x_(0,y)=y^2 (I'm not 100% sure what they were, but they were functions of y). I just want to know how I would solve an initial value problem for these equations as we never covered it in class.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2
    So can anyone help me out?

Thanks

4. Jul 24, 2011 #3
    So I ordered my exam, it turns out the actual question was:

Solve u_xx+u_xy-6u_yy = 0. The solution which I solved correctly was a hyperbolic function u (x,y)= f(2x+y)+g(3x-y).

The IVP is u(0,y) = y^2 and u_x_(0,y)=3y.

Thanks.

5. Jul 25, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

So found the characteristics and now you apply the boundary conditions. What is your problem exactly?

Mat

6. Jul 26, 2011 #5
    Hi

I just don't know how to solve the IVP u(0,y) = y^2 and u_x_(0,y)=3y when u (x,y)= f(2x+y)+g(3x-y).

I found a solved example online (http://www.mathsman.co.uk/DEnotes[2].pdf, the IVP is solved beginning page 48) but I'm very confused on their methodology, so if someone can explain this or do it some different way I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

7. Jul 27, 2011 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Just differentiate!
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(0,y)=2f'(y)+3g'(-y)=3y
    [/tex]
    Integrating w.r.t. y shows that:
    [tex]
    2f(y)-3g(-y)=\frac{3y^{2}}{2}
    [/tex]
    Likewise setting x=0 in the equations shows that:
    [tex]
    u(0,y)=f(y)+g(-y)=y^{2}
    [/tex]
    To find f and g just add and subtract.

8. Jul 30, 2011 #7
    Hi

Just one question, when we take derivative of f and g, what is it with respect to? I substituted w = 2x+y and v = 3x-y, so u_x = df/dw*dw/dx + dg/dv*dv/dx and when I integrated w.r.t. y I let dw=dy and dv = -dy which gave me the same equation you had, is this correct?

9. Jul 30, 2011 #8

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Sounds good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook