1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE problem

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    1. We look at a Laplace equation ( [tex]\Delta u(x,y) =o[/tex]) on a square [0, 1]* [0, 1]
    If we know that [tex]u_{x=o}[/tex]= siny , [tex]u_{x=1}[/tex]= cosy
    [tex]u_y|_{y=0}[/tex]= 0 , [tex]u_y|_{y=1}[/tex]= 0 we differentiate here by y. proove that |u|<=1.

3. The attempt at a solution

We now know that the maximum of u has to be on the boundary. If it is greater then one, then it has to be on either y=0 or y =1.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2
    Yes, that is true and I would say good enough for an applied math course, with just a little bit more about the maximum value theorem (or whatever it is called) to justify.

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    OK)) Could you tell me what that "little bit " is)?

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The solution to any old PDE doesn't satisfy the maximum principle. The solutions to the Laplace equation do, because they are a special kind of function with a special name. I think mindscrape just wants to you point to the theorem that says that the maximum is on the boundary.

6. Apr 12, 2008 #5
    Guys, I have solved it!
    No more help needed on it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?