PDE Wave Equation/boundary condition question

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the wave equation for a vibrating string with initial conditions of u(x,0)=-4+x4<=x <= 5, u(x,0)=-6+x5<=x <= 6, and 0 elsewhere. The boundary conditions are that u|x=0=0. The problem is that the student is not sure how to solve for the boundary conditions and is asking for help.
walter9459

Homework Statement

I need to visualize the wave equation with the following initial conditions:
u(x,0) = -4 + x 4<= x <= 5
6 - x 5 <= x <= 6
0 elsewhere
du/dt(x,0) = 0

subject to the following boundary conditions:
u|x=0 = 0

Homework Equations

I'm not sure I understand the boundary conditions as they written can someone help me?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start with the boundary conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
This represents a semi-infinite string tied down at the origin and given a triangular displacement between 4 and 6. So at time t = 0 the string looks like this:

It is on the x-axis from (0,0) to (4,0) then goes on a slope 1 straight line to (5,1), then on a slope -1 back down to (6,0), then out the x axis.

The du/dt(x,0) = 0 statement says the string is released from rest, not given an initial velocity.

Th boundary condition u|x=0 = 0 would be better written as u(0,t) = 0 for t >0 which says the string is tied down at the end.

Have you studied D'Alembert's solution and how to handle semi-infinite strings with it? That's where you need to look.

im sorry if I am doing wrong by posting in a another thread,but i have a similar problem...
its an infinite string which is straight ( U(x,0)= 0) and has input velocity defined by some arbitrary function g(x)...
from this conditions i have to derive

http://wiki.fizika.org/w/images/math/e/5/6/e567728fec46f565bb53595c63035ec9.png
(sorry,dont know Latex)

where c is (obviously) its velocity...
im having problem with boundary conditions...well,everything tends to cancel out :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
mediocre said:
im sorry if I am doing wrong by posting in a another thread,but i have a similar problem...
its an infinite string which is straight ( U(x,0)= 0) and has input velocity defined by some arbitrary function g(x)...
from this conditions i have to derive

http://wiki.fizika.org/w/images/math/e/5/6/e567728fec46f565bb53595c63035ec9.png
(sorry,dont know Latex)

where c is (obviously) its velocity...
im having problem with boundary conditions...well,everything tends to cancel out :biggrin:

If you start with the the 1-dimensional wave equation for the vibrating string:

[tex] u_{tt} = c^2 u_{xx}[/tex]

have you studied the D'Alembert substitution:

[tex] r = x + ct,\, s = x - ct[/tex]

yet? This leads to the equation:

[tex]u_{rs} = 0 [/tex]

which leads to the solution you are seeking. Perhaps if you show what you have done so far I would know where to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the PDE Wave Equation?

The PDE Wave Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in a given space. It is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model various wave phenomena.

2. What are the key components of the PDE Wave Equation?

The PDE Wave Equation consists of three main components: the wave function, the velocity of the wave, and the spatial coordinates. These components work together to describe the propagation of a wave in a given medium.

3. What are boundary conditions in the PDE Wave Equation?

Boundary conditions in the PDE Wave Equation refer to the conditions that must be satisfied at the boundaries of the given space. These conditions can be either specified directly or derived from physical principles, and they are essential in solving the PDE Wave Equation.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the solutions of the PDE Wave Equation?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the solutions of the PDE Wave Equation. They can restrict the possible solutions, making it easier to find a specific solution or even determine a unique solution. Without boundary conditions, the PDE Wave Equation would have an infinite number of solutions.

5. Can the PDE Wave Equation be applied to different types of waves?

Yes, the PDE Wave Equation is a general equation that can be applied to various types of waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the type of wave being modeled and the properties of the medium in which it is propagating.