1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE Wave Equation/boundary condition question

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to visualize the wave equation with the following initial conditions:
    u(x,0) = -4 + x 4<= x <= 5
    6 - x 5 <= x <= 6
    0 elsewhere
    du/dt(x,0) = 0

subject to the following boundary conditions:
    u|x=0 = 0

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure I understand the boundary conditions as they written can someone help me?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure where to start with the boundary conditions.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This represents a semi-infinite string tied down at the origin and given a triangular displacement between 4 and 6. So at time t = 0 the string looks like this:

It is on the x axis from (0,0) to (4,0) then goes on a slope 1 straight line to (5,1), then on a slope -1 back down to (6,0), then out the x axis.

The du/dt(x,0) = 0 statement says the string is released from rest, not given an initial velocity.

Th boundary condition u|x=0 = 0 would be better written as u(0,t) = 0 for t >0 which says the string is tied down at the end.

Have you studied D'Alembert's solution and how to handle semi-infinite strings with it? That's where you need to look.

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    im sorry if im doing wrong by posting in a another thread,but i have a similar problem...
    its an infinite string which is straight ( U(x,0)= 0) and has input velocity defined by some arbitrary function g(x)...
    from this conditions i have to derive

http://wiki.fizika.org/w/images/math/e/5/6/e567728fec46f565bb53595c63035ec9.png
    (sorry,dont know Latex)

where c is (obviously) its velocity...
    im having problem with boundary conditions...well,everything tends to cancel out :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you start with the the 1-dimensional wave equation for the vibrating string:

[tex] u_{tt} = c^2 u_{xx}[/tex]

have you studied the D'Alembert substitution:

[tex] r = x + ct,\, s = x - ct[/tex]

yet? This leads to the equation:

[tex]u_{rs} = 0 [/tex]

which leads to the solution you are seeking. Perhaps if you show what you have done so far I would know where to help you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook