Solve PDE Wave Equation for Stretched String of Length 2

In summary: AThe general solution is then,u(x,t) = -2c pi [sin (pi * (x + ct)) - (1/2c) cos (pi/2 * (x + ct))] - A + 2c pi [sin (pi * (x - ct)) - (1/2c) cos (pi/2 * (x - ct))]In summary, the equation of vibrations of a stretched string of length 2 can be solved using the standard form of a second-order differential equation and the boundary and initial conditions given. The general solution is obtained by
depthofit

Homework Statement

Having exams on monday but still having problems with PDE. I thought i got it until i saw the teacher's solution different from mine and i have no idea wtf she doing also.. Contacting her is not an option. Please give me a hand with this.. Much appreciated.

Solve the equation of vibrations of a stretched string of length 2,

d2u/dt2 = 16 * d2u/dx2 (0<x<2)
*2nd order differential

for t>0. The string is clamped at each end, so that the boundary conditions are:

u(0,t) = u(2,t) = 0

At t=0, the initial displacement of the string is,

u(x,0) = 2sin (pi * x)

and its velocity

ut(x,0) = 2sin (pi/2 * x)
*t is a subscript

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Below is my attempt,

2drw9r7.jpg

2s1uc0k.jpg

This is the lecturer's solution,

ulwdv.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The PDE can be written in its standard form,du/dt + c2 d2u/dx2 = 0 where c2 = 16The solution of this PDE is of the form u(x,t) = F(x + ct) + G(x - ct)where F and G are functions to be determined.Applying the boundary conditions, u(0,t) = 0 and u(2,t) = 0,gives F(ct) + G(-ct) = 0 which yields F(x) = -G(x).Applying the initial conditions gives,u(x,0) = 2sin (pi * x) = F(x) + G(x)and ut(x,0) = 2sin (pi/2 * x) = c*[F'(x) - G'(x)]Equating the two equations,2sin (pi * x) = F(x) + G(x) and 2sin (pi/2 * x) = c*[F'(x) - G'(x)]Differentiating the first equation,2pi cos (pi * x) = F'(x) + G'(x)Substituting this into the second equation,2sin (pi/2 * x) = c*[F'(x) - G'(x)] = c*[2pi cos (pi * x) - G'(x)]This implies,2sin (pi/2 * x) = 2c pi cos (pi * x) - cG'(x)or G'(x) = 2c pi [cos (pi * x) - sin (pi/2 * x)/c]Integrating w.r.t x,G(x) = 2c pi [sin (pi * x) - (1/2c) cos (pi/2 * x)] + Awhere A is the constant of integration.Therefore, F(x) = -G

What is a PDE Wave Equation?

A PDE (Partial Differential Equation) Wave Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave in a given system. In the context of a stretched string, the PDE Wave Equation helps us understand how the string will vibrate when it is plucked or struck.

How do you solve a PDE Wave Equation?

Solving a PDE Wave Equation involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transforms. These methods help us find the solution to the equation, which describes the displacement of the string at any given point and time.

What is a stretched string?

A stretched string is a type of system where a string is tightly stretched between two fixed points. This can be seen in instruments such as guitars, violins, and pianos. The PDE Wave Equation for a stretched string helps us understand how the string will behave when it is played.

What is the length of a stretched string?

The length of a stretched string refers to the distance between the two fixed points, where the string is attached. In the context of solving the PDE Wave Equation, the length of the string is typically denoted by the variable "L" and is considered a constant in the equation.

Why is solving the PDE Wave Equation for a stretched string important?

Solving the PDE Wave Equation for a stretched string is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of the string when it is played. This information is crucial for musical instrument design and performance, as well as other applications such as seismology and engineering.