How do I calculate the friction coefficient for my pendulum using Excel?

• Thread starter tinkeringone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation was about a problem with calculating the friction coefficients in a pendulum using Excel. The issue was caused by taking the ln of a negative value, which led to a discussion about using radians instead of degrees and the potential error in the pendulum design. The source for the equations and information provided was also discussed.
tinkeringone
Not sure, but apparently somebody threw some LOGS in my pendulum. HELP!

Trying to create a spreadsheet for calculating the friction coefficients in the pendulums I've been making. Here's the problem I just can't figure out.

μβ = ln (1+Z) − ln (1−Z)

where
Z = Δθ(L/d)
Δθ = 0.50 degrees
L = 1 meter
d = 18 mm, i.e. .018 meters
Z = 27.7777

I'm thinking that I already know that μβ = .34, but I can't figure out how to get Excel to calculate that right side of the formula, i.e. "ln (1−Z)", because 1-Z creates a negative value. So it's like you have to create some kind of imaginary number or something like Euler's?

Can anybody tell me how I can get Excel to calculate this, so I can enter my other pendulums into it?

Thanks,
Tinkeringone

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Ignore this post. See Bob S's explanation in Post #3.

The ln of a negative number is a complex number,

ln(x) = ln(|x|) + iπ , . . x < 0​

(There is an ambiguity though, since you are free to add or subtract multiples of 2iπ to this result.)

However, I'm not aware of anything physically meaningful about a complex friction coefficient. You might want to check your equations or parameter values to see if there is an error somewhere that leads to taking the log of a negative value.

That being said, you have two choices for getting Excel to handle complex numbers. Either use two cells to store the value (1 cell each for the real and imaginary parts), or you can install the Analysis Toolpack add-in which will allow Excel to handle complex numbers.

Last edited:
I would like to know the source for your equations μβ and Z. The log arguments 1+Z and 1-Z have to be unitless. For this reason, the angle delta θ has to be in radians, not degrees.
Bob S

Bob, excellent point. If we use Δθ in radians, we get

Δθ = 0.50° = 0.0087 rad

Z = Δθ L/d = 0.0087*1/0.018 = 0.48 < 1

In that case, the log arguments are positive and there is no issue.

Bob – here’s the source of my information you requested. It’s a very interesting source. He’s loading up a simple pendulum with lots of mechanical friction to the point where the friction losses overwhelm the air drag losses, making it easier to calculate the friction loss coefficient.
It loses .5 degrees per half period, i.e. 1 degree per period from 30 degrees down to about 10 degrees. I think that the friction coefficient is the combined amount for the aluminum wire and the groove in the stationary 18 mm rod the wire pivots on. And I think that the combined friction coefficient he shows is .34.
The 27.7777 value I posted for Z was a value I came up with by trial and error.
The rest are based on data from the source.
The equation I initially posted was number (11 & 12) in the link. That is obviously a rearranged version of number (10) before those for the purpose of determining the friction coefficient rather than the loss in degrees per cycle.

Here’s the link:

http://www.manchesteruniversitypress.co.uk/uploads/docs/290147.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi-
Looking at Eq 4 and 5 in your link, it is apparent that theta is in radians, not degrees (the small angle approx for cos(theta)). The pendulum in the link looks like a compound pendulum. Check the design before you build it.
Bob S

Bob S said:
Hi-
Looking at Eq 4 and 5 in your link, it is apparent that theta is in radians, not degrees (the small angle approx for cos(theta)).
Also, using radians exactly reproduces the results shown in Table 2, using their parameters:
L = 1 m
d = 18 mm
β = π
The pendulum in the link looks like a compound pendulum. Check the design before you build it.
Bob S
Looking at Fig. 3, it appears that the system behaves as a simple pendulum. Apparently the lower wire is stiff enough for this to be the case.

Bob – here’s the source of my information you requested. It’s a very interesting source. He’s loading up a simple pendulum with lots of mechanical friction to the point where the friction losses overwhelm the air drag losses, making it easier to calculate the friction loss coefficient.
http://www.manchesteruniversitypress.co.uk/uploads/docs/290147.pdf
Interesting article, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that swings back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. What is pendulum craziness?

Pendulum craziness refers to the unpredictable and chaotic movements of a pendulum, often seen in demonstrations where multiple pendulums are set in motion at once.

3. What causes pendulum craziness?

The exact cause of pendulum craziness is still debated among scientists, but it is believed to be a result of the complex interactions between the pendulums and their surroundings, including air resistance and slight variations in starting conditions.

4. Can pendulum craziness be predicted?

No, due to the chaotic nature of pendulum craziness, it is impossible to predict exactly how the pendulums will move. However, scientists have been able to identify certain patterns and behaviors that can be observed and studied.

5. Are there any real-world applications for studying pendulum craziness?

Studying pendulum craziness can help scientists better understand chaotic systems and their behavior, which can have applications in various fields such as weather forecasting, stock market analysis, and even the behavior of particles in quantum physics.