Pendulums & SHM Homework: True/False Equations

• Thread starter fogvajarash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, A says the first pendulum will have no phase, while the second pendulum will have a phase of -\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2}rad. After a time T, they will both have reverted to their initial angular velocities.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

Two identical simple pendulums of length 0.25m and period T, are mounted side-by-side. One is released from rest with an initial angular displacement of [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{12}rad[/itex], and the other is started with an initial angular velocity of 0.1 rad/s at θ=0. They are both started in motion simultaneously. Which are true or false?

A. After a time of T, they have both reversed their initial angular velocities.
B. They both have the same phase.
C. After 0.1s they both have the same phase.
D. The equation of motion for both oscillators reads: [itex]x=A\cos(\omega t+\delta)[/itex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the first pendulum should not have any phase as the initial displacement would be already the amplitude of the oscillation of the pendulum (thus wouldn't B and D be false?). On the other hand, after a time of T, they would both have the same velocities (what does reversed mean in this context?). I found that T = 1.00s. I'm not so sure on how C works (what is the exact definition of "phase"? Does it refer to the initial conditions or the angle at a time t?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "phase" is the therm in the parenthesis (in the equation given in part D).
Phase = ω t + δ. So the phase is a function of time.

The initial phase is the phase at t=0 so it will be δ in the above equation. The initial phase is a constant, for a given system.

Then the first pendulum has an initial phase of zero, assuming that the equation in D is used.

nasu said:
The "phase" is the therm in the parenthesis (in the equation given in part D).
Phase = ω t + δ. So the phase is a function of time.

The initial phase is the phase at t=0 so it will be δ in the above equation. The initial phase is a constant, for a given system.

Then the first pendulum has an initial phase of zero, assuming that the equation in D is used.
So then [itex]δ=\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] or is it 0? Then shouldn't the second pendulum as well have an initial phase of zero as it starts from an angle 0? Or do we have to consider the initial velocity as well? I have that:

[itex]0.1=-Aω\sin(wt+\phi)[/itex] (then this would mean that the initial phase is not zero?)

I'm completely lost right now.

OK, so assume we use the equation with cosine, as in part D.
Then at t=0, the first pendulum has displacement x=A and the second has x=0. (the displacement is measured from equilibrium position).
Put t=0 in the equation x=Acos(ωt+δ) and calculate δ so that you have x=A for the first pendulum and x=0 for the second pendulum.

No need to use the equation for speed here.

nasu said:
OK, so assume we use the equation with cosine, as in part D.
Then at t=0, the first pendulum has displacement x=A and the second has x=0. (the displacement is measured from equilibrium position).
Put t=0 in the equation x=Acos(ωt+δ) and calculate δ so that you have x=A for the first pendulum and x=0 for the second pendulum.

No need to use the equation for speed here.
So i found the phase of the second pendulum is [itex]-\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2}rad[/itex]. Then they would not have the same phase after 0.1 seconds, and they would not have the same initial phase. After a time T, they would have reverted to their initial angular velocities (so I'm not sure what they mean with prompt A). On the other hand, we would have that the equation of motion reads [itex]x=A\cos(\omega t+\delta)[/itex] (for the exception that the amplitude of both oscilators is different, and the phase is different as well). I tried with putting all of them false, but that is not the case. I as well tried with T F F F and F F T T. Now I'm thinking that maybe it could be T F F T. Is my reasoning correct? The question is kind of vague.

In think that the last one is true. O course they may have different values for A and δ but the equation is the same.

A says that the their velocities will be reversed not that they revert to initial velocities.
And this is not true. They will have the same velocities as in the beginning, after T.

nasu said:
In think that the last one is true. O course they may have different values for A and δ but the equation is the same.

A says that the their velocities will be reversed not that they revert to initial velocities.
And this is not true. They will have the same velocities as in the beginning, after T.
You were right, I got it with F F F T. Thank you very much for your patience!

fogvajarash said:
You were right, I got it with F F F T. Thank you very much for your patience!

Hmm... I have almost the same question yet when I got the correct answer, the last statement was false. (i.e. False: The equation of motion for both oscillators reads: x = Acos(ωt+δ) ) This is because although the motion of each oscillator separately is described by that equation, together they are not or something like that. Not too sure myself, guessed the answer via elimination.

1. What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a weight attached to a fixed point that swings back and forth under the influence of gravity. The motion of a pendulum is governed by the principles of simple harmonic motion, where the period of oscillation is determined by the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This results in a sinusoidal motion, with a constant period and amplitude.

3. True or false: The period of a pendulum is affected by its mass.

False. The period of a pendulum is only affected by its length and the acceleration due to gravity. The mass of the pendulum has no effect on its period.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The longer the length of a pendulum, the longer its period will be. This is because a longer pendulum has a larger arc length and therefore takes longer to complete one full swing.

5. True or false: The period of a pendulum is the same on Earth and on the moon.

False. The period of a pendulum is affected by the acceleration due to gravity, which is different on Earth and on the moon. Therefore, the period of a pendulum would be shorter on the moon than on Earth.