1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perfect square

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the polynomial P(x)=x^4+ax^3+bx^2-8x+1 is a perfect square then find (a+b)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first term is a perfect square and so is the last term. that means that th middle terms should have been =2x^2.
    But it is not so, then how can this be a perfect square?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

P(x) is a perfect square of what? Since it involves x4, it must be the square of a quadratic. What is (x^2+ ux+ 1)2? What values of a, b, and u make those the same?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. Apr 11, 2008 #3

Thanks. I have solved the problem. But will you please tell me how did you figure out that the skeleton expression given was the square of a trinomial?

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't "figure" that out. The given expression involved x4 so I knew it must be the square of a quadratic. The most general quadratic is ax2+ bx+ c. Then I saw that, in order to get "x4" and "+ 1" I must have a= 1, c= 1. I still did not know what b was so I left that in. I did not know that b was not 0, just that there was no reason to assume it wasn't!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?