1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perfect squares proof

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If C^2 = ab and the greatest common divisor of a and b is equal to 1, prove that a and b are perfect squares

2. Relevant equations

I know that if (a,b)=1, then there exists integers u and v where 1=au+bv (even though i don't think this is necessary in this proof)

also, I know that the square root of a perfect square is a rational number, if it is not a perfect square, then it is irrational

Lastly, I know that since (a,b)=1 that means a and b are relatively prime

3. The attempt at a solution

I have absolutely no idea how to do this proof. I know i need to show that the square root of a and the square root of b are rational, but I don't know how to do that.

Maybe I could do it by trying to show it is irrational and finding a contradiction? Any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's pretty easy conceptually if you think about the prime factorizations of a and b. Try that.

4. Feb 3, 2009 #3
    Yeah, I figured it out like 10 minutes after i posted, it is really easy now that I thought of the prime factorizations of a and b. Thanks for the help though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?