Solving Perimeter Math Problems: Joe's House and Eric's Windows Explained

• Thread starter simplybecause
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Perimeter
In summary, the conversation is about finding the perimeter of Joe's house and the total perimeter of three windows in Eric's house. The participants discuss using the definition of perimeter and algebra to solve for the unknown length, and remind the person asking for help to show their work.
simplybecause
So lost. I'm sure it's simple. :confused:

The picture I have to work off of is attached. Here are my questions:

11. This picture shows Joe’s house. What is the perimeter of the house? Explain your answer.

12. Find the answer to the following problem. Show all of your work and explain how you got your answer.

Eric found the perimeter of three windows in his house to be . He wants to know the total perimeter of all three windows. Find the total perimeter and draw a number line and use the number line to represent the total of the perimeters of the three windows.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
What work have you done so far on this problem? I and I'm sure others are more than willing to help, but we want to see some of your work first.

Start with the DEFINITION of perimeter, then go ahead and do the algebra. Since this house is basically a rectangle, opposite sides must have the same length. That will give you an equation to solve for x.

Yeah, else we might get warning messages. :D

1. What is the definition of perimeter in math?

The perimeter in math is the distance around the outside of a shape. It is the total length of all the sides of a shape.

2. How do you find the perimeter of a rectangle?

To find the perimeter of a rectangle, you add the length and width of the rectangle and then multiply the sum by 2. The formula is P = 2(l + w), where P is the perimeter, l is the length, and w is the width.

3. Can the perimeter of a shape be a decimal or fraction?

No, the perimeter of a shape is always a whole number. It represents the distance around the outside of a shape, which cannot be divided into smaller parts.

4. What happens if one side of a shape has a length of 0?

If one side of a shape has a length of 0, the perimeter will also be 0. This is because the perimeter is the total length of all the sides, and if one side has no length, there is no distance to add to the total.

5. Can you use the same formula to find the perimeter of any shape?

No, the formula for finding the perimeter of a shape varies depending on the shape. For example, to find the perimeter of a triangle, you add the lengths of all three sides. It is important to know the specific formula for each shape when finding its perimeter.