Period of a monocromatic light?

In summary, the period of a monochromatic light with a wavelength of 660nm can be calculated using the equation T=1/f, where f is the frequency. The equation v=fλ can be used to calculate the frequency, then the formula for time period can be applied. The greek symbol λ stands for wavelength.
riddlingminion

Homework Statement

What is the period of a monochromatic light with a wavelength of 660nm?
f=660nm

Homework Equations

T= 1/f (I think?)

The Attempt at a Solution

T = 1/660nm
The period of this monochromatic light is 0.00152 waves/nm.
Firstly, I don't know for sure that the variable T is equal to period, as this is review of last years stuff I've forgotten. Also, just to ask a quick question in this thread for my next question so I don't have to post it here, in the formula v = f& (the & is actually a weird greek symbol), what does the & stand for?

Physics news on Phys.org
T=1/f is correct, but f here stands for frequency. In your question, the wavelength is 660nm, not the frequency. First, you need to use the equation [itex]v=f\lambda[/itex] to calculate the frequency, then use the formula for time period. The "weird greek symbol" is the greek letter lambda and stands for wavelength.

Thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is the period of a monocromatic light?

The period of a monocromatic light refers to the time it takes for one full cycle of the light's oscillation. This is measured in seconds and is related to the light's frequency.

2. How is the period of a monocromatic light related to its frequency?

The period and frequency of a light wave are inversely related. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. This can be mathematically represented as T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

3. Can the period of a monocromatic light change?

The period of a monocromatic light is determined by its source and cannot be changed. However, the light's frequency and wavelength can change when it passes through different mediums, such as air or water.

4. How is the period of a monocromatic light measured?

The period of a monocromatic light can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a spectrometer or an oscilloscope. These devices can detect the frequency of the light and calculate the period using the equation T = 1/f.

5. What is the significance of the period of a monocromatic light?

The period of a monocromatic light is important in understanding the behavior of light waves and their interactions with matter. It also plays a crucial role in applications such as telecommunications, astronomy, and spectroscopy.