1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic function | Change of variables

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    "Is f(x)=sin(x2) periodic?
    Answer: no."

WHY? I believe "sin" is always periodic? Can someone please explain?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

On the first one, what is the definition of periodic? And when you have a non-linear argument to the sin() funtion, what is the period?

4. Nov 6, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If x= 0, [itex]sin(x^2)= sin(0^2)= sin(0)= 0[/itex]. When is [itex]sin(x^2)= 0[/itex] again? Is that a period?

5. Nov 7, 2009 #4
    I know that f(x)=sin(x) has period 2pi, g(x)=sin(2x) has period pi, etc. Since I am seeing sin in the function sin(x^2), this leads me to think that sin(x^2) is periodic as well.

For sin(x^2), The zero set is {x: x^2 = (n)(pi)}, but how can I know whether it's periodic or not?
    I think it's hard for me to tell whether a function given randomly to me is periodic or not. Is there any systematic way to answer this? I am not sure where to start...

Thanks!

6. Nov 7, 2009 #5
    For sin(x^2), The zero set is {x: x^2 = (n)(pi)}, but how can I know whether it's periodic or not? I just can't tell...

7. Nov 7, 2009 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

periodic in my book would be
    f(t+a) = f(t) for all t, for som constant a

in your case, solve for the first few zeros, and see what the difference bewteen them is (cf with a in the above) , see if there's any pattern which you can pick out which shows its not periodic

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook