Which Elements Have Unusual Electron Configurations?

• Thread starter sarabellum02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Periodic
In summary, elements with electron configurations different from what the periodic table predicts are found in the "d" block. Chromium and copper have unusual electron arrangements due to the additional stability associated with a half full and completely full 3d subshell.
sarabellum02
Which elements have electron configurations different from what the periodic table predicts? I have the d-block, but i don't know how/where to get the rest.

Suppose in another universe, everything about atomic structure is the same as in our universe BUT there are 3 possible spin states for an electron in an orbital(up, down, and side) instead of two. How would this change where the elements are in the periodic table?

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The "s" block would have 3 columns...The "p" block would have 9 columns,the "d" block would have 15 columns,the "f" block would have 21 columns...

Daniel.

I think the answer to what your asking is Copper and Silver

Copper is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d10
Silver is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s1 4d10

There are many more "anomalies" in the "d" block.I think Pd is the most unusual as it has no electron in the "s" orbitals o its last shell (5s0).

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
There are many more "anomalies" in the "d" block.I think Pd is the most unusual as it has no electron in the "s" orbitals o its last shell (5s0).
Agreed. And there is Chromium (4s1).

The Bob (2004 ©)

Apologies if this question has already been answered, but I'll give my answer anyway! It helps reconfirm chemical ideas in my head, and learning is good! :-p

both chromium and copper have unusual electron arrangements- due to the additional stability associated with a half full and completely full 3d subshell.

Cr= [AR]3d^5, 4S^1
Cu= [AR]3d^10, 4S^1

all the other elements in the d block (for period 4) have full 4d subshells as the 4d subshell has slightly lower energy associated with it in then the 3d subshell, and are filled first.

again, sorry, but its good revision for me, and I've got an exam soon on this!

FAQ: Which Elements Have Unusual Electron Configurations?

What is the Periodic Table?

The Periodic Table is a tabular arrangement of the chemical elements based on their atomic structure and properties. It is a useful tool for understanding the behavior and relationships of different elements.

How is the Periodic Table organized?

The Periodic Table is organized based on the number of protons, electrons, and neutrons in an atom, as well as their electron configuration and chemical properties. The elements are arranged in rows called periods and columns called groups.

What is an electron configuration?

An electron configuration is the arrangement of electrons in an atom. It describes the energy levels, sublevels, and orbitals that electrons occupy around the nucleus. The electron configuration of an atom determines its chemical properties.

Why do elements in the same group have similar properties?

Elements in the same group have similar properties because they have the same number of valence electrons, which are responsible for the majority of an atom's chemical behavior. This leads to similar patterns in reactivity, bonding, and other properties within a group.

How is the Periodic Table useful?

The Periodic Table is useful for predicting the properties of elements, identifying trends and patterns among elements, and understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. It is also a valuable tool for organizing and categorizing chemical elements and compounds.

Back