Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic table/electron config

1. Mar 28, 2005 #1
    Which elements have electron configurations different from what the periodic table predicts? I have the d-block, but i don't know how/where to get the rest.

Suppose in another universe, everything about atomic structure is the same as in our universe BUT there are 3 possible spin states for an electron in an orbital(up, down, and side) instead of two. How would this change where the elements are in the periodic table?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The "s" block would have 3 columns...The "p" block would have 9 columns,the "d" block would have 15 columns,the "f" block would have 21 columns...

4. Mar 28, 2005 #3
    I think the answer to what your asking is Copper and Silver

Copper is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d10
    Silver is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s1 4d10
  5. Mar 29, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are many more "anomalies" in the "d" block.I think Pd is the most unusual as it has no electron in the "s" orbitals o its last shell (5s0).

6. Apr 3, 2005 #5
    Agreed. And there is Chromium (4s1).

The Bob (2004 ©)
  7. Apr 5, 2005 #6
    Apologies if this question has already been answered, but I'll give my answer anyway! It helps reconfirm chemical idea's in my head, and learning is good! :tongue2:

both chromium and copper have unusual electron arrangements- due to the additional stability associated with a half full and completely full 3d subshell.

Cr= [AR]3d^5, 4S^1
    Cu= [AR]3d^10, 4S^1

all the other elements in the d block (for period 4) have full 4d subshells as the 4d subshell has slightly lower energy associated with it in then the 3d subshell, and are filled first.

again, sorry, but its good revision for me, and ive got an exam soon on this!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?