Perlite as an absorbing/adsorbing material

• Thread starter maistral
  • Start date
I have a question regarding perlite; as far as I know perlite can be used as a dye absorbing material. After absorbing dye, what do people do with it? Dispose of it? Or is there a method to recover the used perlite? Thanks!

I have a question regarding perlite; as far as I know perlite can be used as a dye absorbing material. After absorbing dye, what do people do with it? Dispose of it? Or is there a method to recover the used perlite? Thanks!
Judging by how cheap perlite is, it seems to me that the industry generally uses it and then discards it - there is no incentive to develop a way to recover the perlite. However, there looks to be some research work done to regenerate the material after being used in filters etc.

Hi! Thanks for replying.

Once it is discarded, say for example after absorbing dye. What purpose can it serve afterward? Perhaps cement filler (is that even correct lol)? I seem to be unable to find resources regarding what to do with used perlite.

Hi! Thanks for replying.

Once it is discarded, say for example after absorbing dye. What purpose can it serve afterward? Perhaps cement filler (is that even correct lol)? I seem to be unable to find resources regarding what to do with used perlite.
Well it appears that perlite can be regenerated after it is used, since the absorption mechanism does not really change its chemical composition. A google search on perlite regeneration should give you some direction.