Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perlite as an absorbing/adsorbing material

1. Feb 4, 2018 #1
    I have a question regarding perlite; as far as I know perlite can be used as a dye absorbing material. After absorbing dye, what do people do with it? Dispose of it? Or is there a method to recover the used perlite? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2018 #2
    Judging by how cheap perlite is, it seems to me that the industry generally uses it and then discards it - there is no incentive to develop a way to recover the perlite. However, there looks to be some research work done to regenerate the material after being used in filters etc.

4. Feb 5, 2018 #3
    Hi! Thanks for replying.

Once it is discarded, say for example after absorbing dye. What purpose can it serve afterward? Perhaps cement filler (is that even correct lol)? I seem to be unable to find resources regarding what to do with used perlite.

5. Feb 6, 2018 #4
    Well it appears that perlite can be regenerated after it is used, since the absorption mechanism does not really change its chemical composition. A google search on perlite regeneration should give you some direction.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted