Permanent dipoles in molecules

In summary, when an electric field is applied to an atom, it can create a permanent electric dipole moment in some molecules, such as Hydrogen Chloride. This occurs when the chemical bonding leads to a net shift of the electron cloud, leaving one end of the molecule with a deficit of negative charge and the other with an excess. This dipole moment can affect the properties of the substance, such as its ability to dissolve ionic or polar substances, but it is not easily related to physical properties like slipperiness or texture. This concept has been extensively researched and is not suitable for a doctoral thesis.
Roodles01
As I understand, when an electric field is applied to an atom then the nucleus and electron cloud will be shifted out of balance giving rise to an electric dipole moment. Some molecules have permanent dipole moments though,
e.g. Hydrogen Chloride,

". . . when a hydrogen chloride molecule is formed, the chemical bonding leads to a net shift of the electron cloud from the hydrogen atom to the chlorine atom . . .This leaves the hydrogen end of the molecule with a deficit of negative charge, and the chlorine end has an excess of negative charge . . . The result is a permanent electric dipole moment"

I have only just scratched the surface of permanent dipoles in my study of electromagnetism, but if a molecule has a permanent electric dipole moment are there any physical properties that can be attributed to it when on a grand scale.
i.e. does it make it more slippery, give it texture or . . . anything else.

Idle curiosity from me but I'd love to know.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Good question, The answer is yes - and no.

Yes - there are properties of the substances that arise from their dipole moment, no, they are not easily related to physical properties of the kind you have mentioned.

Liquids with a high dipole moment of molecules tend to dissolve well ionic substances (or substances with a high dipole moment, we call them "polar solvents" and "polar substances"). Also in general the higher the dipole moment of molecules, the higher the permittivity of the substance.

Likes 1 person
Thanks.
Perhaps I can make this a thesis for my Doctorate (if I ever get over A-Levels =)))

Roodles01 said:
Perhaps I can make this a thesis for my Doctorate (if I ever get over A-Levels =)))

Too late for that, that's one of these thing that have been researched to death in the last 100 years.

I can confirm that the presence of permanent dipoles in molecules does indeed have physical consequences on a macroscopic scale. These dipoles can interact with external electric fields, leading to various effects such as the alignment of molecules in a certain direction, changes in the boiling point of a substance, and even the ability to dissolve in certain solvents.

In the case of hydrogen chloride, its permanent dipole moment makes it a polar molecule, meaning that the positive and negative charges are not evenly distributed throughout the molecule. This in turn affects its ability to mix with other substances and can also impact its reactivity with other molecules.

Additionally, the presence of permanent dipoles can also contribute to intermolecular forces, which are responsible for the cohesive forces between molecules. This can affect the physical properties of a substance, such as its melting and boiling points, density, and even its texture.

So to answer your question, yes, permanent dipoles in molecules do have physical consequences on a macroscopic scale and can contribute to various properties of a substance. I hope this helps answer your curiosity.

1. What are permanent dipoles in molecules?

Permanent dipoles in molecules are the uneven distribution of electrical charge within a molecule, resulting in a separation of positive and negative charges. This can occur when the atoms in a molecule have different electronegativities, causing one end of the molecule to be more positively charged and the other end to be more negatively charged.

2. How do permanent dipoles form in molecules?

Permanent dipoles form when there is an unequal sharing of electrons between atoms in a molecule. This can be due to differences in electronegativity, shape of the molecule, or the presence of polar bonds. The resulting dipole moment is a vector quantity, with the direction pointing from the positive end to the negative end.

3. What is the significance of permanent dipoles in molecules?

The presence of permanent dipoles in molecules can affect the physical and chemical properties of the molecule. For example, molecules with permanent dipoles tend to have higher melting and boiling points, as well as stronger intermolecular forces. This can also affect the molecule's reactivity and ability to interact with other molecules.

4. Can permanent dipoles be canceled out?

Yes, permanent dipoles can be canceled out if the molecule has a symmetrical shape and the dipoles are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This results in a nonpolar molecule, with a net dipole moment of zero. For example, carbon dioxide has polar bonds, but its linear shape results in a net dipole moment of zero.

5. How are permanent dipoles represented in molecules?

Permanent dipoles are represented using the arrow notation, with the arrow pointing towards the more electronegative atom. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the dipole moment. Additionally, molecules with permanent dipoles can also be represented using partial charges, where the positive and negative ends of the molecule are labeled with the respective charges.