Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peroxide vs. dioxide

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    Hi,

What is the difference between peroxide and dioxide? Why isn't CO2 carbon peroxide?

I'm finding this important in Redox rxns but have not found a way to differentiate the 2 or actually define them.

Any help appreciatted!

Warren

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Look up the definition of "peroxide" and pay special attention to the O-O

4. Mar 18, 2010 #3
    Thanks for being so quick!

But all I can find is a Wikipedia entry and have gleamed that peroxides are cations 2- as opposed to neutral O2 molecules.....right?

So how does one determine if it's a peroxide? NaO2, LiO2, CO2 etc....is it determined by the charge? So Li2O2 a peroxide and LiO2 a dioxide?

I think I got it! Right?

W

5. Mar 18, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

What are the characteristics of peroxides? Are they oxidizers, and if so, why? Is CO2 an oxidizer? If not, why not?

6. Mar 20, 2010 #5
    In beginning chemistry at least, you can look at it this way:

You can tell by the charge. Peroxide is O22- as in Li2O2.
    The two oxygens in NaO2, however, are not part of peroxide because that ion has a 1- charge: O2- which is superoxide.
    In a covalent compound such as CO2, the two oxygens would be called dioxide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?