Perturbation Theory - First Order Approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Taylor expansion to obtain the expansions for the eigenfunction and eigenvalue of a disturbed Hamiltonian. The coefficients of the expansion, ##\epsilon##, apply to the corresponding eigenfunctions and eigenvalues, with ##{\psi}_k (x)## and ##E_k## being the coefficients of ##{\epsilon}^k## in the expansions. Note that these coefficients are not eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, except for the first term which corresponds to the undisturbed Hamiltonian.
Sunnyocean
If:

##\hat{H} \psi (x) = E \psi (x)##

where E is the eigenvalue of the *disturbed* eigenfunction ##\psi (x)##

and ##E_n## are the eigenvalues of the *undisturbed* Hamiltonian ##\hat{H_0}##

and the *disturbed* Hamiltonian is of the form:

##\hat{H} = \hat{H_0} +{\epsilon} \hat{V} ##

where ## \hat{V} ## is the potential and

then we can expand, using a Taylor expansion, ##\psi (x) ## and ##\epsilon## is a very small (positive?) number

##\psi (x) = {\psi}_0 (x) + {\epsilon}{\psi}_1 (x) + {\epsilon}^2 {\psi}_2 (x) + ... ## (1)

where ##{\psi}_k (x)## is the eigenfunction of ##\hat{H}## corresponding to the eigenvalue ##E_n## (eigenvalues are assumed to be non-degenerate)

We also get, using a Taylor expansion:

##E = E_0 +{\epsilon}{E_1} + {\epsilon}^2 {E_2} + ...## (2)

MY QUESTIONS:

I tried deriving formulae (1) and (2) - i.e. the expansions - on my own but I was unable to do it. Could anyone please show me *in detail* how to obtain those expansions?

Another question is:
How do we know that, when using the Taylor expansion, the coefficient ## {\epsilon} ## applies to ##{\psi}_1 (x)## and not to some other eigenfuncion, the coefficient ## {\epsilon}^2 ## applies to ##{\psi}_2 (x)## and not to some other eigenfuncion, and so on? The same question for eigenvalues.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sunnyocean said:
Another question is:
How do we know that, when using the Taylor expansion, the coefficient ## {\epsilon} ## applies to ##{\psi}_1 (x)## and not to some other eigenfuncion, the coefficient ## {\epsilon}^2 ## applies to ##{\psi}_2 (x)## and not to some other eigenfuncion, and so on? The same question for eigenvalues.

##E^{(n)}## is *defined* as the coefficient of ##\epsilon^n## in the power series expansion of ##E##. Same for ##\psi^{(n)}##.

Note that the ##E^{(n)}##'s and ##\psi^{(n)}##'s are *not* eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, except for ##E^{(0)}## and ##\psi^{(0)}## which are an eigenvalue and eigenfunction of ##H_0##.

Likes 1 person
Thank you The_Duck, that clarifies it. I was obviously misled by the confusing notation. You made it clear, so thank you again :)

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used in science and engineering to approximate the solution of a complex problem by breaking it down into simpler, solvable parts. It involves making small adjustments to an existing solution and using these to predict the behavior of the system under slightly different conditions.

2. What is first order approximation in perturbation theory?

First order approximation, also known as the linear approximation, is the simplest form of perturbation theory. It involves making small adjustments to a known solution using first-order derivatives, and is typically used when the perturbation is small and the problem is well-behaved.

3. How is first order approximation used in practice?

In practice, first order approximation is used to estimate the behavior of a system when it is subject to small changes or disturbances. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model the behavior of systems such as oscillating springs, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

4. What are the limitations of first order approximation?

First order approximation is only accurate for small perturbations, and may fail to accurately predict the behavior of a system when the perturbation is large. It also assumes that the system is linear and the perturbation is well-behaved, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.

5. How does first order approximation differ from higher order approximations?

Higher order approximations involve using higher-order derivatives to make more accurate predictions about the behavior of a system under perturbation. These are typically used when the perturbation is larger and the system is more complex, but they require more computational resources and may be more difficult to solve analytically.